shifting when engine is cold

I thought I had this fixed when I replaced the temp sensor. Still does the same thing but at a lower outdoor temp. Has become a problem since the temp in Ma is dropping.

My 90 Stanza refuses to go into 3rd gear (auto trans) unless the engine is totally up to operating temp. It used to shift into 3rd when I got to about 50 mph on the highway. Now it stays in 2nd for about 10 extra miles at 50 mph. Then shifts into 3rd and will shift correctly for the rest of the day. The same issue begins the next morning if the outside temp is around 30 degrees. The car will not shift into 3rd until it is totally at operating temp.

I have done the plugs, dist cap, plug wires, 02 sensor, temp sensor, even replaced the radiator because it developed a leak, rad cap, and thermostat, checked trans fluid (it was to correct level when car was warm). All this was completed during the summer in preparation for the winter since the car developed the shifting issue at the end of last winter. The car shifted correctly during the summer but now it getting cold again and I am seeing the same non shifting into 3rd problem.

The engine runs fine when cold and warm so I don't believe the shifting problem is related to the engine, but I could be wrong.

I have no error codes but I still believe a sensor is the issue since the car shifts correctly when it is warm. My only thoughts with sensors is they are almost always bypassed when the car is cold. They come into play when the car is at operating temp.

I need some help here, Please

Dan

Reply to
Dan

When was the last time you replaced the tranny fluid?

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I replaced the tranny fluid during the summer (couple of months ago) as a precaution. I didn't want to wonder if it would be the cause during the cold season.

Thanks for the suggestion. Dan

Reply to
Dan

I do not mean overdrive unless you consider overdrive as the 3rd shift. I am running about 4500 rpm at 55 mph until the car gets to operating temp.

Are you suggesting the Overdrive shift may be the issue? I will pay more attention to OD vs 3rd shift and see what happens tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the suggestion. Dan

Reply to
Dan

You mean overdrive?

Reply to
Steve T

Check the temp sensor. Many newer cars will delay the overdrive (or last) shift when cold. (In cold, my old '00 Explorer would delay the OD shift till about 4500-5k RPM while cold.) Helps: 1) warm up quicker, 2) emissions since the car warms up quicker. If that sensor is out of range the car may think it's colder longer and be the cause of your shifting problem.

Reply to
SneakerFreak

It's normal for the overdrive shift (The last shift) to be delayed until the engine is fully warmed up. Sometimes they use the trans temp to do this and in below freezing weather this can take a while. What you are experiencing may be normal operation for the weather you are experiencing.

Steve

Steve T

Well, This morning it was 32 degrees and in fact is now snowing and

34 degrees. Sometimes I don't really like the New England weather with snow this early in the winter. Oh well, in a couple of weeks I will be in Disney World in Florida.

The Stanza will not shift into OD until it is at operating temp. I made sure of that this morning. I have changed the Rad hoses, Rad cap, and thermostat when I replaced the radiator so they are not the issue. I have also replaced the temp sensor going to the Computer and the temp sensor going to the Temp gauge ( they are different). The Chiltons said there is a temp sensor in the trans but the dealers (2 of them) say the car doesn't have a temp sensor in the trans.

I guess I will have to live with the car the way it is. My daughter has become accustomed to starting the car in the winter about

5 to 10 minutes before she leaves for work. This allows it to get warm enough to shift into OD when she gets on the express way.

Thanks for your suggestions. Dan

Reply to
Dan

Here in the Hudson Valley, all of our automatic transmission cars in this household have remote starters (Well, only two of the four are automatics).

Reply to
willshak

Dan, did you change the trans filter/screen?

Reply to
doS

It won't hurt anything by just running it without OD until it gets warm enough to shift. They are designed for it. As I said, my Explorer would wait forever to shift into OD and when I sold it @ 80k it still ran like a champ!

Reply to
SneakerFreak

Most cars will do this. When I had an auto Maxima, it would not engage overdrive until 5 - 10 minutes of warming up.

Nick

Reply to
Nick