'06 RAV4 shifting delay??

We have an '06 RAV4 (4-cyl, automatic, 4WD, and approx. 10k miles). About two weeks ago or so my wife started noticing it would really hesitate to shift gears around 30/40 mph. I took it out today and noticed that it would wait to shift until over 5000rpm (again around

30-40mph). It only did this the one time today (could not reproduce the issue), which was also the first time the RAV was driven for the day. My wife also said that it only seems to do it the first time it's driven for the day. It just started doing this recently. It's going to Toyota for an oil change soon anyhow. Is this a known problem? Any suggestions on what to have them check for?
Reply to
grodenhi

It is normal to delay upshifts and lock out overdrive until the engine warms up. The engine and transmission are designed this way to speed warmup of emissions components.

Reply to
Ray O

~~~~~~~~~~~~ But 5000 rpm, Ray, before shifting? Geez, I don't think my Avalon has ever had the tach hit anywhere near 5000 rpm! I wouldn't drive a car like the poster's RAV 4 long enough for it to warm up, I fear.

Reply to
mack

If you floor the throttle pedal, it will rev to redline and either hold at redline, or if there is a higher gear available for upshift, the transmission will upshift. If the coolant temp is cold, the transmission will not shift to overdrive so it will hold at redline.

The OP has a 4 cylinder engine, so it will work harder and have to rev higher than the V6 in your Avalon.

Reply to
Ray O

Go to rav4world.com There are quite a few posts on this topic. I've experienced it a few times myself... JennL.

Reply to
tanukiki