'85 Toyota just won't start

I have just spent the last year and a half trying to get it fixed. Was bought used with 100k miles engine had to be replaced at 420k. The rebuilt we bought lasted about 6 weeks then broke a piston. We sent it back to the place we got it as it was under warranty and for the past year they have been sending it back saying its fixed, and it was apparent that it was not. No power, valves tapped, etc. it sounded like it had when we sent it in so December rolls around still not fixed they send it back saying warrantys up were not touching it unless you pays us to fix it. So not wanting to give them anymore money I took it home and took it apart myself.I stripped it down to the head gasket and the built it back up. putting everything back where it was supposed to be using the Chilton manual to make sure i had everything correct. OK now to the real problem, I have it all back together everything remounted and in its place but i cant get it to start. When I took it apart it ran but now it wont I have been told by a few people that it maybe a sensor somewhere but i dont know if its true. Anybody had this problem and/or know what to do?? Anything posted will be really appreciated as its been sittin like that for a month now and really starting to bug me.

Reply to
JamesEA

Its a 22r engine 4WD carb Xtracab

Reply to
JamesEA

Explain "won't start". Starter cranks over or not? Engine cranks and cranks but won't fire? You need fuel, air and spark to run, have you verified you are getting those?

Reply to
Roger Brown

The distributor may be 180° off. For the 22R, the distributor should be installed with the crank pulley mark at 0° TDC. The distributor is then installed with the rotor pointing at 12 o'clock and then will rotate to about 325° (-45°) as it engages with the camshaft.

When setting the crank to 0°, the rocker arms on No. 1 cylinder should be loose. If they are not, the crankshaft needs to be turned one full turn in order for the distributor to be placed correctly as described above. Otherwise, it will be one-half turn off.

You probably know all of this, but it's a guess. Besides, I knew it as well and still managed to get it wrong when I replaced my head gaskets ('88 v6).

Luther

Reply to
Luther

everythings turns over i know im gettin air spark and fuel. confirmed that. i just keeps turning over never seeming to catch.

Reply to
JamesEA

i ve done all but i hadnt tested to see if the rocker arms were loose.

Reply to
JamesEA

Just a thought: Does it turn over normal speed/sounding or does it REALLY crank over fast?

Cheers, - JG

Reply to
Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address)

If you know the engine is mechanically sound, it's getting gas and you're getting spark then.....

I would check the engine timing and timing chain first. If the timing is too far off or the distributor set incorrectly it will not start. Is the distributor rotor pointed near TDC? Dist cap on correctly? Coil wire going to center of cap? Firing order correct?

Is the timing chain properly aligned? Do a compression check, even if the engine is new.

hard to help from here, JK

Reply to
John N. Kessler

I've done all that made sure the distributors is set TDC Firing order is Correct and I have Compression and the TIming chaain is properly aligned

Reply to
JamesEA

seems to be normal speed

Reply to
JamesEA

seems to be normal speed

Reply to
JamesEA

Not sure how you know it is firing on the compression stroke otherwise.

To test this, others I know will pull the distributor cap off so that they can see the rotor and stick their finger in the no. 1 spark plug hole while a buddy cranks the engine. Obviously, one should feel a big puff of air just prior to the rotor pointing at number one plug wire.

Or, simply remove the distrubitor; rotate it 180°; and reinstall and see if that makes it start. It won't hurt anything to try this if you have not already and/or if you have any doubt that the distrib is on proper timing with the cam.

Luther

Reply to
Luther