88 4Runner V6 Head Gasket

Good Day All,

I have an 88 4Runner V6 5 Spd with AC. I have a head gasket that needs repairing (no sure which one though). Now being a person who likes to do things for himself I was thinking of doing the work on my own am I way over my head if I have never done anything major with cars before trying to attempt to repair the problem myself? If you answered no to that questions what would be the best type of gasket to get for it then to replace it. Last but not least what would be everything I need that would require changing the gaskets (ie, other gaskets, hoses, tools (special and what not)). Oh and last what would be the time frame to do something like this?

Thanks for everyones help and opinions.

Happy New Year everyone :)

Remember to remove the AT and DOT to get my email address. Damn SPAMMERS

Reply to
Curious George

Its a pretty big job! You'll need torque wrench plus other normal tools. Ya might as well do the timing belt and water pump if you don't know when they were last done. Thinking of tubular headers - now's time to install. The old headers will be fun to get off (heat/rust) - ya may need a torch to heat nuts and liquid wrench (soak for days before tackling). (Buy new nuts and a few studs). I'd take heads to machine shop when they're off and have valve job done and heads trued or checked for trueness. Did it overheat? SO weekend to take apart and another (maybe 3 day one) to put back together and adjust everything (valves). Follow head torque instructions to the letter -- or you get to do it again soon!

Reply to
Wolfgang

I've always liked a challenge. What about the head bolts..is there a special tool to remove them. I did the timing belt and waterpump 2 years ago. It didn't over heat all I have is oil in the coolant not even milky oil or even white smoke in the exaust, just oily coolant.

Reply to
Curious George

No, you will need a deep 12 pt socket in 14mm. Replace the knocvk sensor and the pigtail wire. If you do a water pump, use repalce the thermostat. Get OE or you'll have it everytime you drain and refill your coolant.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Reply to
fixitman

Well, be prepared to have lots of bench space for parts. When this is all tore down, you'll have stuff from one end to the other piled high.

Reply to
MDT Tech®