89 Pickup Fuel Filter

Forgive me if this question has ben asked and answered a number of times. I'm not a regular on this NG.

My question concerns the fuel filter on my 1989 SR5 V6 pickup. The service dept at Toyota tells me it is not replaceable.

Is this true?

Ursal

Reply to
Usul Muad'Dib

They are probably saying that it isn't on a maintenance schedule for periodic replacement. It can indeed be replace - but on a 22RE 4cy is a royal pain to do - suspect same or worse with V6. You need to loose metal fitting with a flare wrench otherwize it is easy to round off the shoulders of the locking nuts. Then undo the clamp.

"Usul Muad'Dib"

Reply to
Wolfgang

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:19:17 GMT, "Usul Muad'Dib"

Unless you've fed the truck lots of really crappy gasoline, it should literally be good for the life of the truck. There is a "sock" pre-filter in the gas tank on the pickup that stops all the bigger chunks, and the fine dirt has lots of room to build up in the filter.

As long as the dirt doesn't get deep enough to actually block flow, you can leave the old filter alone for at least 250,000 miles.

And even with the proper wrenches the filter fittings are very difficult to get apart without damaging a flare nut. The factory puts them together tight enough to distort the threads.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Bruce,