Fuel Filter

Forgive me if this question has ben asked and answered a number of times. I'm not a regular on this NG.

My question concerns the fuel filter on my 1989 SR5 V6 pickup. The service dept at Toyota tells me it is not replaceable.

Is this true?

Norm

Reply to
Usul Muad'Dib

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 21:54:01 GMT, "Usul Muad'Dib"

Over-simplification. It can be replaced, but they have such a large dirt capacity that they very rarely need replacement before 500,000 miles, if ever. You'd have to run many tanks of filthy gas through before you could clog it.

And it's on there with metal fittings where the threads get distorted from the torque of installation - you run the real risk of stripping the steel fuel line flare nuts getting it apart without the proper wrenches, and that repair costs much more than a simple filter change.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Does an 86' with a 22R have a similar fuel filter?

Reply to
Joseph Wind

No. I wish it did.

22R trucks with carbs have the fuel filter clipped to the frame right next to the fuel tank. It is pretty easy to change out, and they only cost about $6. Just wear gloves and goggles as it can dribble gas on you in the process.

22R fuel injected have the fuel filter bolted to the side of the block under the intake manifold, above the starter motor, and they cost about $15. It is a bit of a braille affair, done more by feel than sight. The fuel lines are bolted to the ends of the fuel filter using "banjo bolts". These are torqued on quite tight and can be a bear to remove. Fuel injected systems run with a 20psi fuel line so when you release one of the bolts, gas will spray out the end for a little while. I just wrap the bolt and wrench with a rag to catch it. There is one 12mm bolt above and one below the filter connecting it to the side of the block.

When you replace the FI filter you should get new copper washers along with the filter.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Lucky I have a Carb 22R. I'll probably change it on the next oil change. Thanks for the info!

Reply to
Joseph Wind