89 toyota.....timing chain???

How do you tell if the timing chain is out, i cant get it started, tried pull starting it and nothin happens when i drop the clutch, just some little noise, but no engine running?

What might be the problem

Reply to
edpdpub

You can check the timing chain by pulling the valve cover.

The timing chain rarely wears out on a '89. That year used a double row timing chain with steel backed chain guides.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie: It's not like you to be wrong, but, I thought: The '89 22R/22RE has the same single row chain and plastic guides as all the '85-'95 22R/22RE's. (Wears out around 120K.) Mine does!

Reply to
Jeff

Yikes I was sleep typing. My brain saw that as '79. Sorry.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler