97 4x4 V6 extended cab tacoma vibration problems

Recently my tacoma has started to vibrate a lot, it just started the other day, it did not start out slowly and get worse over time, just "all of a sudden".

  1. vibrates during acceleration without a load in the bed. The steering wheel and everything, the whole truck, you can feel it in the seats.

  1. Seems to be the worst at about 50-55mph. It does vibrate at all speeds, but seems worse when getting on the gas especially around

3000rpms. Once past that it smooths out a bit. But getting to and at 3000rpm it vibrates almost violently.

  1. If this means anything, it also does it in neutral. The vibration seems to be just as bad at 50 in gear or out of gear.

I had a brake job done 2 weeks ago at tires plus, if that means anything, but it just started vibrating 4 days ago like this. I also had my tires balanced by them a month ago, maybe a weight fell off? I brought it to tires plus today to check it out and after 4 different mechanics drove it, they said it was probably the 4wheel drive assembly. I live in florida and never use the 4wheel drive though. They refused to check the tires balance and just wrote it off as the 4 wheel drive assembly.

Any help/thoughts is appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Doug

Bard

Thanks for the quick response. It does not vibrate while sitting still revving the motor(thank god). I went under and shook the drive shafts, they didn't move, they seem fine. I guess I'll have to get the tires balanced again and if that doesn't work, get the drive shaft balanced. I'm still convinced its just the tires, but the damn mechanics keep doing road tests and don't even want to check the balance. I went out and drove around some more and pushed the gas a little more to get past 3000 rpms in 3rd and after that it went away which was a little faster than 55mph.

I forgot to mention earlier (probably cause I was so mad) that the damn mechanic who said its the 4wheel drive assembly put my truck in

4wheel drive on a tar road and tried to go! What an idiot! He said he thought it was the 4wheel drive assembly because it bound up. I told him its because he tried to drive it on a hard surface and any 4wheel drive would do that, especially tacomas.

Thanks for you help, I'll put another post up once I can get someone to balance the tires.

Reply to
Doug

Reply to
JMach

I'll be sure to try that out, never thought about that. I had the driveshaft looked at. Toyota said the U-Joints were a little dry, but not bad, they greased them up and are good now, but it still vibrates. Someone mentioned that I should have my brakes checked out too. I've never had one problem with this truck until the past month, I'm still very happy with my Tacoma except for this annoying vibration.

Reply to
Doug

I'm starting to think I'm getting the run around with the mechanics around where I live. I still am having the same problem only now when I let off of the gas in 1st gear or start to get on the gas in 1st there is a popping sound. I can even feel it through the floor boards. I'm starting to think that maybe its been the u-joints all along. The transfer case couldn't cause this, could it?

I'm moving back to new england in a week (towing my truck on a car carrier, all wheels off the ground) so I will have my trusted Toyota mechanic solve this once and for all.

Reply to
Doug

U-joints man, U-joints.

I had the same problem - vibration during a specific RPM range.

-Rob

Reply to
Rob Pilgrim