'97 T100 - Questions about available Accessories.

I love my '97 T100 SR5 4x4. It's got just about every option except ABS, keyless entry, and a sunroof. Here are my questions:

1) Is it possible to add the factory keyless entry system?

2) Did any T100's have factory sunroof? I've never seen one. If they exist, is the headliner formed differently to accomodate the factory sunroof (like the Tacoma's headliner that is formed to house the sunroof latch/handle)?

3) Can the passenger shoulder-belt mechanism be changed to operate like the driver's side? Toyota brochures call the driver's side an Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR), and the passenger side an Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractor (A/ELR). The driver's side is always loose, but the passenger's will ratchet tighter everytime you sit squarely in the seat. You have to unlatch the belt and let it fully retract before it can be pulled out again. My wife and kids HATE the passenger seat for this reason. Oh, they're bucket seats, not the split bench.

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matt Kernal

The bench seat has the same set up. I see no reason you can't buy a drivers side and bolt it up. The buckle will be reversed, but the first time you wife sits in it she will get it twisted the right way ; )

Reply to
MBOSCHERT
1) I dunno, sorry.

2) The headliner, if it is the same as that in the 96, is vinyl with metal rods running from side to side, anchored in the side rails of the roof frame. I'm not sure how one would install a sunroof, as it would involve cutting at least one of those rods, leaving the remaining headliner material in that area unsupported. This is NOT the solid headliner (masonite like material) found in other Toyotas (i.e. 4Runners, Camry's).

3) The passenger side, A/ELR seatbelt (also in the rear corners) should only act that way after it has been fully extended. It's that way to handle child safety seats - you put in the car seat, buckle it up, extend the belt, and while pressing the safety seat in (i.e. with your knee), you retract the belt. [You can also use that to help keep active kids properly positioned in booster seats] If it is in "ratchet mode" all the time, I'd suspect something is wrong with it. Don't fool around with seat belts, get it checked!

The typical complaint with Toyota seat belts is that they don't retract vigorously enough and get caught in the doors...

Congrats on the buckets, they are hard to find. If you ever decide that you want a 0/40 split bench, there is no shortage of folks who would swap with you...

HTH -

Scott

Reply to
Scott Broam