1999 Maxima

A couple of days ago I purchased a 1999 Maxima SE for my wife. I was impressed by its handling, interior room, and over all appearance. Did a car check, bought from a dependable independent dealer. Only gripe I have is it has a cassette player instead of cd player. My question is, are there any known problems with the 99 model, anything I should be aware of.. What is the recommended mileage to replace timing belt. V6, 3.0, 5 speed. Has 47,515 miles at present. Thanks for any info.

Reply to
Jerry

ronm

That's the first time I've heard about that. Perhaps someone already took apart your dash and did a crappy job.

If you take apart the dash, get some instructions and do it carefully. Wrap your flathead screwdrivers in masking tape so you don't leave marks on things. It also helps to have rags/towels and large rubber bands so that you can cover up the scratchy metal clips asap. Otherwise you'll tear up things while trying to disconnect some wires. I've taken my dash apart 4 times and it still doesn't have any squeaks.

Dave

particularly

Reply to
David Geesaman

Thanks for the replys. I posted wrong though, I have 99 GXE, not SE. I really don't know difference, except I've heard suspension is little different between the two. Also, Nissan dealer said not to worry about timing chain, they hardly ever needed changing. Does this sound right. Completely new to the Maxima line, had Sentra at one time, timing belt broke, lots of bucks to fix. Thanks again

Reply to
Jerry

The GXE is the base model and probably gives the best bang for the buck. The dealer is correct, the timing chain almost never needs replacing unless it stretches, and from what I understand, that's very uncommon. With 47K miles your car is just getting broken in and another 150K isn't an unreasonable expectation as long as you keep up with maintenance. I sold my '90 SE with 140K miles, not because there was anything wrong with it, but just because I wanted a change. My parents have two Max's, a 90 GXE with 260K miles (no major problems except for a severely worn distributor) and a 99 GLE with 70K miles. As far as problem areas, be prepared for an occasional O2 sensor going bad and keep an eye on the rear brake pads which seem to wear exceptionally fast for some reason. I believe the 5-speed like you have is pretty solid, but the automatic tranny has never been the Max's strong point. BTW, from what I remember, the non-Bose stereo in your GXE is pretty darn easy to swap out if you choose to do so.

Reply to
Dan

Reply to
JimV

I would highly recommend that you drive an SE before deciding on which you want to look for. There are plenty of each in the market. It's quite a different ride. I wouldn't buy a GXE/GLE unless I was planning on firming up the suspension. For other folks, it's just the opposite.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

When I bought the 99 Maxima last week, I knew it had a security system in it, but dealer didn't have the keyless entry switch. He called Nissan dealer, gave them the VIN, and they said they had two keyless entries in stock. I left it today to be programed, and when I went to pick it up, Nissan is telling me I have a security system, but not equipped for the keyless entry. If they went by the VIN , and it says I have the keyless entry, am I getting the run around. Dealer I bought car from was paying for all of this, and I'm thinking he decided not to pay without telling me. Was the keyless entry an option on the 99 GXE or standard. All my cars before this one, were earlier 90's, before all this security stuff was popular, so I'm new to this. Any input appreciated. Thanks (also, dealer I bought from only had one key, and it cost me $30 bucks to get another made. Original has chip in it as its supposed to. If all this, why no keyless entry option)

Reply to
Jerry

The GXE model needs the Security and Convenience package for remote keyless. See if there are signs that the other options are installed

From the Maxima.org FAQ:

All Maximas come very well equipped with Power windows/locks/mirrors, cruise control, intermittent wipers, 8 way adjustable seat, remote trunk release, rear defroster, Etc. The SE trim level adds white faced gauges, spoiler, fog lights and alloy wheels. The GLE trim level has everything in the ?S&C? and ?Leather trim? packages described below and the same alloy wheels found on the 95-96 SE.

Options where grouped into three packages, Security and Convenience (S&C), SE Leather trim, and Cold weather/Deluxe Seating. The S&C package required an Automatic transmission for the GXE and a sunroof for the SE except the 95 model. The Cold weather package required the S&C package and ABS brakes except for the

95 model. The ?cold weather package? was renamed the ?deluxe seating package? in 98 and added side airbags and dropped the ABS requirement.

Security and Convenience Package (S&C) -

  • 8-way power driver's seat
  • Remote keyless entry and vehicle security system
  • Integrated HomeLink Transmitter (SE only)
  • Power trunk release
  • Illuminated visor vanity mirrors
  • Variable intermittent wipers

SE Leather Trim Package-

  • Leather seating surfaces
  • Automatic temperature control
  • 4-way power front passenger's seat
  • Simulated leather upper door trim
  • Passenger-side seatback pocket
95-97 Cold Weather Package-
  • Heated front seats
  • Heated outside mirrors
  • Low windshield-washer fluid warning light
  • Heavy-duty battery
98-99 Deluxe Seating Package-
  • Front seat side air bags
  • Heated front seats
  • Heated outside mirrors
  • Low windshield-washer fluid warning light
  • Heavy-duty battery

It's also easy to buy remotes on ebay for cheap and program them yourself in about a minute:

But if the car doesn't have a receiver as part of the S&C package, a remote isn't going to work.

Reply to
Monte