'97 Tacoma Check Engine Light

205K miles, ext.cab, 4 cyl, 2x2. I suspect that the catalytic converter is shot. Has anybody just had the lightbulb disconnected or removed? My driving is unaffected which is why I suspect the converter. My county doesn't do emissions testing so I would pass the inspection. I was quoted $1,000 for a new cat coverter at a Toyota dealer. Any thoughts?
Reply to
MRS

"MRS" wrote in news:40990b7f$0$3058$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rcn.com:

Buy a higher performing aftermarket free flow cat for $150 and don't pollute more than you have too.

Reply to
MLB

An aftermarket cat is only $150? That dealer was going to charge me $1,000! Is the OEM part THAT much better? $750 for labor?!

Reply to
MRS

I'm curious. Will he get better mileage with the free flow one?

Postee

Reply to
postee

Maybe, depends on if it was choked I guess. (I'm no wrench). NOT quoting on the cat, that's how much they are for my Chevy. I've heard of Mercedes cats being 1k+, but a TOYOTA!!?? That's absurd. Check out a couple of Toyota venders and we'll all know.

"postee" wrote in news:109j9l6aifoah08 @corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
MLB

Reply to