98 Tacoma....whacky fuel guage

Just how does a fuel guage work? Mine always reads empty when I get close to

200 miles on a full tank. Sometimes it will not register againg for up to 80 miles or so, sometimes after only a few.I have been using my trip meter B for a long time to know when to refuel. Also, the temp dial on the heater runs either full on or luke warm, not in the usual increments. It seems to reach a slightly "stuck" spot, after turning further, it goes hot again....ideas? Both problems are easy to live with, but would be nice to fix them.........Thank you
Reply to
Grip

The fuel gauge is a bobber connected to a resistor strip. As the fuel level goes down, it moves an arm across this strip, in turn registering a different level on the gauge. After a while you can get a dead spot in that strip, so when it moves across that specific part the gauge dies. Replacement of the sending unit in the tank is the fix. For the heater, you might want to look at the end of the heater cable. If you can find it, disconnect it from the blend door and move the lever. Then you can see if it is the cable that is binding or maybe the gears on the door.

Reply to
qslim

Much Thanks! Fuel guage, I guess I'll live with, heater knob....looks like I can fix that :-)

Reply to
Grip

Indeed, the fuel gauge operates via a float in the fuel tank which operates a rheostat. The rheostat can develop a worn spot causing erratic operation. However, the additives in modern fuels can accelerate the build up of deposits on the rheostat just as they cause deposits in the injectors. Use of a good fuel system cleaner such as QMI or BG44K, which ought to used periodically anyway to dissolve these deposits, may clean the fuel tank rheostat and fix the problem. It's worth a try. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al