99 Tacoma Wiper Motor Problem

While driving in heavy sleet and snow recently, my wipers suddenly stopped in the down position. Upon closer inspection, I found they had actually gone down past the windshield and are resting on the plastic vented piece between the hood and windshield. With the wipers turned on, I can manually move them back and forth quite easily, but they do not move by themselves. After a couple of minutes, it's like the motor finally kicks in, and abruptly lowers the wipers back down past the windshield. Thawing the truck out completely and cleaning all ice from the area has had no effect. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
roadhunter

It sounds as though you've stripped the shaft between the wiper motor and linkage.

I'm not directly familiar with this assembly as I've never had occasion to disassemble the one in my own Tacoma, but some manufacturers design a "fail point" here to keep from cooking the wiper motor or damaging the linkage should the wipers be forced to cope with a heavier snow and ice load than designed.

Reply to
Mike Harris