Tips on reinstalling Tacoma wiper motor?

I have a new (used) wiper motor to install in my 99 Tacoma. Removing the old motor is a snap, of course, but how in the world do you get the linkage from the new motor to the blades put back together? There is a very small hole in the firewall to work through, and I can get the female part of the "ball and socket" type joint line up with the hole by manually moving the wipers, but I can't hang on to this piece and install the motor at the same time. If I let go of the internal part, it just drops out of sight. I tried removing the plastic grate that is between the hood and windshield, assuming this would give me a way to access the wiper parts from the backside, but it does not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
RoadHunter

I managed to fix this problem despite the lack of response on this group or the alt.autos.toyota group, and absolutely worthless info on Toyota's $10 per day tech web site. If anyone needs similar assistance, just let me know and I'll tell you how this is done with just a 10mm and 12mm socket and ratchet.

Reply to
RoadHunter

Hello, i see you were able to get it done without advice, good for you. I have a 1991 Toyota Celica that I need to replace the wiper motor and like your experience I was able to remove it with no problems. I install the new(used) motor but it doesn't seem to move the wipers. Is it a linkage or socket I need to insert the "metal ball and arm"? it is pretty hard to see into the small hole in which the "metal arm and socket" came out off...any advice would be gladly appreciated....thanks

Reply to
cc