AC retrofit required?

My 1989 Toy 4x4 AC has finally pooped out. What would happen if I did not retrofit system from r12 to r134 and charged with a can or two of r134 anyway? Don't know if the fittings even make this is even possible. I heard it is very expensive to pay for a recharge with the old r12 so I would like to avoid spending much $.

TIA AG2

Reply to
ag2ward

Check out the A/C forum at

These guys are great and answer posted questions very quickly.

ag2ward wrote:

Reply to
N. Funk

"pooped out" is what? Do not mix R134 with R12 - NO professional will touch it then (contaminated gas that is not recyclable)! If it just needs a lb of R12 - that would be cheapest - $100. If all the R12 is gone - ya need to figure out why and fix the problem (expansion valve or o-ring leak is usual. Flush the old system (there is a do it your self kit" and replace all the o-rings. Replace the accumulator/air dryer ($35) and evacuate the system with a vaccum pump - refill with proper oil and R134. The R134 conversion kits are only $29.95 at KMart and others. Don't be surprized it it is not as cool and your compressor fails in a year. You need to use the conversion kit because the fittings are different. I'd caution a DIY effort -- the canned gas can freeze an eye bal or cause serious skin damage. Price a hospital visit vice your local AC shop.

Go to ALLDATA and see if your vehicle was covered by a Special Service Campaign SSC001 -- my 90 4Rnr was. If so a new expansion valve, seals, evac and recharge are free - covered by Toyota.

as cool and your compressor fails in a year. charged with a can or two of

Reply to
Wolfgang

It would be cheaper to convert it. Its easy to do, but you do need a vacuum pump. You do not have to replace O rings unless you are converting a very old vehicle. I did a 90 Plymouth and it was working fine 5 years later when I got rid of it.

Reply to
IBNFSHN

A conversion kit uses existing components and only replaces seals and fittings. The downside of this is that R-134 does not have as efficient heat exchange properties as R-12 and therefore will never cool as well as a R-12 system with the same condenser. If you look at condensers for R-134 systems, they are much larger than those found in R-12 systems. So you have to ask yourself, how cool do you want your A/C to be? If you live in the south, you'd be better off repairing your current system rather than converting. The R-134 fittings are a different size than the R-12 and you should not mix them. If all you need is a recharge it should only run you $150 max.

Reply to
slikrikd

This person said it. Expect the compressor to die! Then you're looking at $75 up in a boneyard or $275 up aftermarket or new.

I tried one of those kits in a Corolla. When I initially went to have the system fixed it would have cost $650.00. I spent $625 and still had a non working A/C trying to fix the R-12 (7 years ago) With the price of R-12 now, (quotes from $35-85 per lb) you're better off just changing the system over if you plan to keep the vehicle. Otherwise, use the 260 A/C

Reply to
Snot Important