Adjusting Rear Drum Brakes- '93 P.U.

I replaced the shoes on my truck's rear drum brakes ... now how do you adjust them? Backing up repeatedly adjusts the brakes on the American cars I've replaced the brakes on. For THIS truck, the manual says to screw the adjustment shaft all the way in (so that the shoes are as far from the surface of the drums as possible), replace the drums, then yank the parking brake lever out. I pulled out and retracted the parking brake lever several times, but not much adjustment happened that I could see- the same number of threads are exposed on the adjustment shaft as before the 'adjustment'. How the hell do you adjust the brakes here??? Thanks.

Reply to
fatuous participant

Like you said, American cars adjust when you apply the brakes in reverse, but only in a small increments. The same is true w/the parking brake on yotas, small, incremental adjustments, just enough to account for normal brake wear. I like to adjust the shoes out a little bit at a time until I can barely get the drums back on. Although I usually forget to do this so I end up doing it this way: there's a small, oval rubber plug on the back of the brake backing plate, pull it out and w/a flashlight you can see the adjusting wheel. Take a small screwdriver and turn the wheel - it'll only turn one way. This'll adjust the brakes but don't overtighten them unless you want to get 10 mpg. I've adjusted them this way many times and every time it is a pain.

Reply to
slikrikd

This article may help:

Roger Brown