Over Heating Problem? 88 Truck

Hi I'm having a problem my factory gauge is showing I'm overheating when I have my heater lever on hot it goes back and forth between 1/2 & 3/4. When its off is does not fluctuate and stays put at the 8 o'clock position. I've had it all checked out and this is puzzling to the shop. Is there any electrical connection when you have it on hot that could be causing a short? This is a 22re with no air conditioning.

Thanks for any info!! Greg

Reply to
Greg

check out roger brown's website:

he has some info on the thermostats that in the 22re. apparently the thermostat is located right by the water return line for the heater. so when you have the heater on, the theromstat see only cold water and stays closed and the engine gets hot. roger has the part number for a dual stage thermostat that gets around this problem. i haven't changed thermostats yet because i'm lazy, so i just watch my engine temp when i have the heater on. it's kinda funny that the engine runs hotter in the winter than the summer.

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

This should explain the problem and give you the solution, too:

Roger Brown

Hi Mike&Roger Thanks for your quick replies and interesting info!! I wonder how the service dept @ Toyota deals with this as they are telling me they have never heard of such a thing. Is this something that for some strange reason just happens to some and not most?

Thanks a Bunch!! Greg

Reply to
Greg