any sealer or chemical to fix the windshield glass?

Two tiny damages on my Sequoia windshield glass, the glass store is asking $70 for it! Ouch, I don't mind to see it if it is just cosmetic issue but they "threaten" me saying the glass may crack using defrost in winter? Is it true? Any cheap way to fix it my self? I know it won't look professional to do it myself, my concern is on safety/preventive reason not on cosmetic part.

Thanks

Reply to
harry

Are you referring to round "stars" from rock strikes?

Repairs of these are generally done by putting in a dab of clear setting plastic with the same refractive index as the glass to make it "invisible." AFAIK it doesn't do a thing to prevent the glass from cracking.

Were it mine I'd do nothing unless / until the windshield started cracking - then replace the entire windshield.

-- Mike Harris Austin TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

Mike,

Well, I guess that's how it is called. It is round and star like from rock strikes. If it is nothing related to winter time tempearture change and defrost heat applied to the glass to make it worse, I am more than happy to take your advice!!

Harry

Reply to
harry

Call your insurance company - I bet they will pay to have it fixed (patched) for free --- vice you putting in claim for windshield down the road. I had one done several years ago (I actually waited too long to get it fixed) - it looked fine for a short period but then turned dark - the cost to patch was deducted from cost to replace windshield (the patch guarantee). State farm covered 100% of both patch and the ultimate windshield replacement. You can buy the kits to DIY for about $25.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Well... the glass still may crack from the temperature changes... but the repair won't prevent that in any case. At least, any of the repair methods that I've seen won't.

It's possible that radial cracks will extend across the windscreen from irregularities and sharp edges within the "star." Unless your glass shop has a handy dandy method of removing these irregularities by grindng or whatnot to relieve the edges and prevent any stress cracks from extending from them, the repair won't make a difference.

The other possibility - that moisture will get in between the laminations and cause darkening or fogginess as the layers separate, can be prevented by cleaning the area well with rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab, letting it dry then putting in a dab of clear silicone sealer, smoothing slightly below the level of the surrounding glass so the wipers don't pull out the plug. Or by using one of the repair kits that Wolfgang mentions.

-- Mike Harris Austin TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

I got a $250 deductible insurance...

Reply to
harry

Let me get this straight...

You drive a $50,000 vehicle and don't want to spend any money keeping it both safe and nice looking?

Reply to
B A R R Y

You missed the point! I am trying to find out how lousy is my insurance company. So far, it seems State Farm has a better policy than my current one -Virginia Mutual. It seems different insurance company has different policy and it is not about the $250 deductible. My friend was in the same situation with same deductible but he does not have to pay. So was I a few years ago with State Farm...

Reply to
harry

Just an update to this post, I got insurance company to pay for the patching/repair. They are saying repair will be no cost to me but replacing will involve $250 deductible...

Reply to
harry

If its small star like cracks Ive seen 2part (resin type) glue used to repair. The best way is to get the glass guys out and they drill a small hole the whoile way through, they then use a superstrong resin and pump it through the hole, once cured they shave off the high spots and buff. You wouldnt know it was there. It will stop the glass from cracking from the star point to the edge of the windscreen though. Ive had that from having the car sitting in the hot sun after a cold morning. Come back thinking that someone had broken the windsheild but upon checking it was from the heat.

Whats a new windsheild worth?

Do you have a glass clause in your insurance policey?

Reply to
Scotty

With State Farm, I have ZERO DEDUCTABLE on my glass....including the windows in the topper, and the company logo on the back window...... it cost less than a dollar a month. The rest of the vehicle has a $500 deductable. I end up getting a new windshield about once a year, but I am also driving around

40,000 miles a year too.
Reply to
Noon-Air

"harry" sez:

but they

The closer the rock strike is the edge of the glass, the more potential there is for further cracking due to thermal expansion/contraction stresses. On our new vehicles, we had EdgeGuard installed that keeps these types of pits/cracks from happening in that critical area around the edges. See:

blah

Reply to
blah

Same with my Met Life and previous Nationwide policies.

Of course, this is all clearly noted in the "declarations" page that arrives every six months with my new cards, for those who bother to actually read it.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Also keep in mind that *most* glass breakage riders *should* cover headlight lenses assemblies as well

: > With State Farm, I have ZERO DEDUCTABLE on my glass....including the windows : > in the topper, and the company logo on the back window...... it cost less : > than a dollar a month. : : Same with my Met Life and previous Nationwide policies. : : Of course, this is all clearly noted in the "declarations" page that : arrives every six months with my new cards, for those who bother to : actually read it.

Reply to
Watts D. Matter

but they

winter?

The closer the rock strike is the edge of the glass, the more potential there is for further cracking due to thermal expansion/contraction stresses. On our new vehicles, we had EdgeGuard installed that keeps these types of pits/cracks from happening in that critical area around the edges. See:

blah

Reply to
Boots Crofoot