Sequoia glass good?

I am always wondering how is the quality of my 2004 Sequoia windshield glass quality. It is less than two years old with around 40,000miles on it. The glass seems to have some kind of sparkles while seeing it against the sun. The windshield is most of the time cleaned very well since this tiny sparkles in the glass disturbing the view. It is way "grainier" than my other two vehicles--Chrysler T&C and Honda Accord.

Is there any aftermarket nice quality glass to replace? Is it something disposable after a certain mileage? I remember it is not so perfect from very beginning of ownership...Did my previous highway driving create the effect? I remember pretty often I saw sands and tiny stuff hit on windshield since that section of I-95 got so many trucks carrying construction materials. The degree of sunshade on the Sequoia is also unsatisfactory. It makes me feel hot and burning after driving for a while in hot summer. Again, my van and Accord did a better job on shielding sunlight/UV.

Do you feel the same way? Anyone found a good solution? Winter is coming and therefore burning sun is longer an issue at this moment but the clarity and transparency of windshield is still a concern.

Reply to
harry

Our Sequoia is a 2003 model year with about the same mileage. We do not have any problems with our glass.

The "grainy" effect is due to pitting, probably from sand, gravel, etc. striking the glass. Following trucks with construction materials is a pretty sure way to have this happen. I'll bet that if you inspect the paint on the leading edge of the hood and grill, you will notice some chips and pitting.

Our 1997 Avalon has around 110,000 miles and our 2000 LS 400 as 71,000 miles without any problems, although the Avalon now has a crack in the windshield from a large rock striking it.

When I see a truck with construction debris blowing out the back, I always back off or pass it as quickly as possible. Those plastic hood protectors may help lessen the effect. I don't know if aftermarket glass will be more resistant to sandblasting or not.

We have the Limited model with very dark glass and do not have any problem with the sun "burning". With the very effective air conditioning and dark glass, some of our passengers complain of getting chilled. The drawback to the dark glass is poor rearward visibility at night.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote: snip

Here we go Ray!...age can cause this effect you know...I had a Dodge Dakota Sport 4X4 truck a few years ago, prior owner had put tint on all the rearward windows and I had to rip it off after a few years...got so that I just couldn't see well enough rearwards at night...makes quite a difference indeed...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I know that age has a negative effect on night vision although I refuse to acknowledge the fact that it is happening to me ;-)

I used to have excellent night vision and rarely used a flashlight when camping. Lately, I've noticed that it is a lot harder to see obstacles on the ground when walking around. It is kind of a cruel trick of nature that combines more frequent exits from the tent at night with a diminished ability to see where you're going. The advent of lightweight, long-lasting LED headlights came just in time!

Reply to
Ray O

I think it's not too bad. Why changing?

Reply to
CatMan

Bingo!

Windshields are wear items. There's not much you can do to prevent damage, other than to not drive through debris.

Some insurance coverages will cover abraded windshields, others only replace cracked glass. Otherwise, you might want to cough up the cash for a replacement before you hit something.

Reply to
Bonehenge

"Ray O" wrote: snip

Yes...and the guy who invented those tiny high output LED two 'flat cell' lights that you clip onto your key-chain or a zipper was a hero I think...I found a source of those at 'Dollarama' here ($1.00 each). I have a dozen around here, mostly on the zipper tabs of jackets, sweaters etc... :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I've never seen them for just a dollar - I guess I'll have to check out the dollar store!

Reply to
Ray O