Hilux Surf overheating -

Hi,

Recently bought a 92 2.4TD surf, was noticing the aur temp was variable and she boiled a couple of days ago - when checked she had water running from the area of the water pump, couple of mechanics have said that it is the water pump and will need replacing, one stated the seal would need replacing as you'd hear if the pump was finished.

My question is ...... would you hear if the water pump had had it when the engine was running and would the head gasket be the likely culprit of her cooking in the first instance?

New Surf owner ..... love her to bits and not afraid to get my hands dirty on most engines but with this hulk of metal under the lid I don't I want to start undoing anything to find out if it is the likely cause!!

Cheers to anyone who can share their knowledge with me.

Reply to
Kt

not necessarely

no and no

Dude, its only a water pump..... it has moving parts and they wear out.

Reply to
Noon-Air

The pump isnt an expensive part. They come with a new gasket as well. Easy job for a Sunday afternoon. If waters leaking out from the pump thats the most likey cause. If you had boiled it for long you may have now done more damage. (You might like to keep a closer eye on the temp gauge from now on eh) Once yourve done the pump or gasket runit and keep an eye on the temp gauge. If it goes beyond hlaf way then you may have done some damage to teh head/head gasket. The 2.4s where never known for a great head design and they often require refaceing or replacing.

PS While you have it in bits and if you have some cash left stick on a set of headers and a decent exhaust, they love the extra breathing space. I got better miles per tank and way better acceleration over 60MPH once done.

Of if you have done major damage to it throw out teh 2.4 and find a 3.0litre TD or a Toyota 1UZE. (My choice)

Reply to
Scotty

Get a new water pump if its leaking - they're inexpensive enough. No you won't always hear it. Cross your fingers that you didn't do damage when it overheated.

A compression test, water in the oil or vice versa will tell you whether your head gasket is gone. Overheating can kill them so if its gone it may have been an effect not a cause.

Slap a new pump in and keep an eye on it, particularly since the weather is starting to warm up... er, you're Down Under? Repost if you have continued problems...

Reply to
root