To buy or not to buy, that is the question...

I'm a long-time lurker and occasional poster with a '91 Eddie Bauer 4x4, purchased in '92 at 50K miles and now limping along at 180K. I don't know how I would have survived it without this newsgroup, Singleton's Explorer pages, and Dr. Bob, as just about anything that's mentioned as problematic with older explorers has happened to mine - everything from broken inside door latches and pulls and center consoles to rusted quarter panels and separated Firestones and a full trannie rebuild at 120K. It's going into the shop on Monday because my mileage has plummeted from 16 to 9, for reasons unknown. But the Explorer was my first SUV and I'm pretty much settled on driving SUVs for the foreseeable future - terrible mileage and you have to accept that you're in a truck, not a car, but it's been hit hard a couple of times and the kids in the back seat were no more than shaken up. For a married-with-children fortysomething like me, big and solid and safe and reliable is way better than small and sporty.

So I'm shopping for a replacement SUV (not too aggressively, it may be a year or more before I actually purchase one) and in all fairness should consider a new Explorer, so I'm asking this group to address the following questions - should I buy another Explorer instead of (insert competing SUV here), or should I buy (insert competing SUV here) instead of another Explorer? Or, as an alternate phrasing of the question - what SUVs should I consider, and which should I reject?

My needs: This will be my everyday commuter vehicle, so high reliability and decent gas mileage are desirable. I'm not a wealthy man and will be shopping in the relatively inexpensive price ranges. I don't do any serious off roading, but have some property in a rural area with dirt (read "mud") roads and sometimes drive on snow/ice so I need four wheel drive. I occasionally pull a trailer (my current Explorer has the optional trannie cooler) over the aforementioned mud roads. I haul lots of kids and their friends and their stuff, so I need four doors and plenty of cargo space. I have no US/foreign or Ford/GM/Dodge bias; any make or model is fine with me as long as it satisfies my needs. I will buy new if I can afford it; a one- or two-year-old vehicle otherwise.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Reply to
John D. Goulden

John

We have an '02 Explorer Limited and after 2.5 years or so we've been very pleased. There are three of us, plus a couple of elderly grandparents on occasion, and we've really enjoyed it. Have the 3rd row seat option which we've used twice ... but it was sure nice to do it then ... I'd pay the extra tariff again. The 4WD works very well (especially in mountain snows) and our V-6 is averaging about 17 MPG or so. Been as high as 21 MPG for a 3 hour summer cruise on flat land (Eastern Washington).

I'll admit, I am nosing around a bit for something larger like an Expedition or maybe the new Armada from Nissan. We're getting into mountaineering quite a bit and our gear looks like it will soon outgrow the back of the Explorer ... and I hate putting stuff on roof racks or a trailer (my own preference)!!

But, overall, I'd definitely give our Explorer an unqualified 100% positive recommendation.

Cheers!!

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I looked around before I bought my LAST Explorer, a '99 XLT, which was trouble-free for the three years I had it. I also looked at several SUVs before buying my current Explorer, a 2002 Eddie Bauer.

I'm not brand-loyal, but both Explorers did seem to have the better total package than everything else I tried at the time.

My Toreador-Red '02 EB was one of the first ones built (in October of 2001), and aside from a DPFE sensor that went bad a little over a month ago (which took ten minutes to fix at my dealer's no-appointment service department, and caused nothing more than minor bucking at part-throttle), mine has been perfect. Everything from the heated seats, dual-zone climate controls, and trip computer, to the 6-disc CD changer, all work perfectly. I also have the third-row seats and the aux climate control system as options. And while some people complain about the fact that the load floor angles downward as it goes back, I've found that to be an advantage with things like groceries, especially with the third-row seats up. It creates a perfectly-sized area, and the upper window glass is just high enough to prevent things from falling out when you open it. Also, the Explorer's rear wiper is now mounted on the glass, and works MUCH better than the kind on most other SUVs (mounted so that the wiper has to "park" below the window to clear the upper opening). Now I never have trouble clearing the rear window in sloppy weather. The front wipers also work better than any car I've ever owned. The washers cover the entire windshield with a blanket of spray, even at 70 MPH.

It gets around 17 MPG in city-only driving, and I got 26 MPG on a trip with it this past summer. Those are both better than my '99. The ride and engine sound are both MUCH better than the '99 as well. I especially like the V6's sound outside---it has a really cool "burble".

This time around, I looked at the Envoy, Pathfinder, Grand Cherokee, Durango, and Mountaineer. The Mountaineer would have won if the deal had been better. The Envoy's interior looked like it belonged in something much cheaper, and I still don't like the idea of the front axle running through the oil pan---something I'll bet will cause GM headaches as these things get older. The Grand Cherokee is nice---nicer than the first time I looked in '99---but lacking in room, as is the Pathfinder (which seemed like it had accessories from 23 different vendors). And the Durango was just lacking some of the feel, ride, and equipment on the Explorer. I didn't look at the MDX, although I was going to. I had trouble with Honda products before, though, and parts and service costs are astronomical, so I skipped it. I'm not sorry I did.

I might not be the one to ask if you're looking for ten or fifteen years out of an SUV, but the two Explorers I've had would keep them in my mind as front-runners next time I'm looking again.

Good luck!

Reply to
JonnyCab®

After 154K miles I spun out & totaled my '94 XLT. Yes, this NG was very helpful in getting it that far. I was starting to look at a replacement before the crash but this may just speed up the process. I'd consider another Explorer but still have doubts on the 4.0 timing cassette issue, transmission, and now some rear end problems posted on this NG. I'd have to go with the 3-seat version of a Trailblazer / Envoy to get the same cargo area I had. I don't need a V-8, so that rules out a 4X4 Durango. My wife's '01 Subaru Outback is a bit underpowered & problematic so Subaru is out of the running. Gonna look at a 4X4, 4-door short box pickup w/ a cap. Also have to look at the Toyota 4 Runner or Highlander & Nissan (but not the X-Terra).

Mike

Reply to
Mike

From: Richard

It's been a while since I've thrown in my two cents worth. Definitely give the new Explorer a try, my wife and I got a yearend 2003 XLT 2wd w/ third row seating. I love the vehicle, we also have a 1999 XLS (given to the son). Here are some of the things I've noticed:

  1. Being 6'3'' we had to get the power seats because it will go just a tad lower than the standard seating, giving me the needed headroom. My wife at
5'3" can adjust it for here also. If you are tall you will understand the above statements.
  1. A lots more driver foot room than either either the '99 or the '91 we traded in long ago.
  2. It is quieter inside, smoother riding, rear air is kinda cool (pardon the pun).
  3. Engine seems much stronger and has better pickup at any speed. ( I dislike driving the '99 now)
  4. Being older myself (under fifty but over forty) I also like a little more metal than a small car.

Any way I'm pleased. /Richard

Reply to
Debbie Grimes

This is where the memory seat and mirrors function of the EB is so useful! One button puts everything into one of two settings.

Reply to
JonnyCab®