Axle question gas tank question

I have a 1983 toyota 4X4 pickup and I would like to know what axles I have in my rig. I know for a fact I have a dana 44 in the rear. I think one of my friends that has a truck just like mine. Same year and all. And I think he said that had a ford 8 bolt front axle. And my secend question is what size gas tank do I have? I need to know that to know what type of mileage I am getting. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Just take 'er to the gas station and fill it up and see how much fuel you use.... depends on the truck though I think because I know that mine has a 70L (1983)(might not be stock I'm not sure) and my buddies has a 50L (1983)(definitely still stock). As for the axle the 8 bolt isn't stock so I doubt yours would be the same unless it was modified in the same way.

Reply to
Toshi38

Good plane about the gas station. Now as for the axle what axles came stock on a 83 truck?? Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Should just be a stock 4.11 geared toyota axle I'd think.... I know that my buddies 83 is definitely a stock 4.11, my axles are geared at

4.37 (I think we swapped them off of the 80). What do you plan to do that you need to know about the axles for? or is it just curiosity?

Stephen

Reply to
Toshi38

Well like I said I just bought the truck and herd that the 79-83 trucks are good little rock crawer.And just of curiosity of what I can do if I rock crawed this truck. How munch can this old truck take?

Reply to
Jamie Mello

The capacity of the gas tank has no bearing on the mileage you are getting. None.

Fill the tank and write down the mileage and/or reset the trip meter. Drive until the tank needs to be refilled. Fill the tank and write down the mileage and/or reset the trip meter, and note the quantity of gas you bought. Subtract the previous mileage from the current mileage, then divide the result by the quantity of gas you put in.

If the first fill was at 25,250, and the next fill up was at 25,290 and took

12 gallons of gas, then you went 240 miules on 12 gallons, which works out to 20 mpg.

Getting 20 mpg has nothing to do with the tank capacity.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It does not matter what came stock 25 years ago because the truck could be a special order that does not have stock equipment, or it could have been modified by any number of the previous owners. Odds favor it being stock, but you have no way of knowing, so your question is the wrong one.

The question is, what are the options that could be on the truck, and how do I tell them apart.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Don't lift it more than a few inches - (A) you don't really need to, and (B) the higher you go the harder the crunch when it falls over.

And the more expensive to fix.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I know the size of the gas tank has zero to do with the gas mileage. I am getting like 11-13 MPG. I think I should be getting 18-20 MPG. And I bought the truck from the first owner to. Who said ever thing was stock Other then the rims,tires,lift. And no it was not a special order also. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

I know the size of the gas tank has ZERO to do with the bad gas mileage I am getting 10-12 MPG. I Think I should be getting 18-20 MPG. When I bought the truck I got it from the first owner. Who said it was all stock but for the big tires,the rims,the lift kit. It was not a special order truck He said he bought it bone stock back in 83. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

stock is definitely 4.11 axles... they work great but big tires will lead to you busting an axle... however its pretty dam easy to shove a new pumpkin into it. If you really wanna know pull the pumpkin and start counting teeth then just divide it out to get your gear ratio

Reply to
Toshi38

Ok thank very munch. Thanks Jamie

Reply to