Bad vibration/shaking at higher speeds- help...

I have a 99 4runner limited 4wd. At around 50 to 60 miles per hour I get a violent shaking that pulls my steering wheel back and forth and is even more pronounced when I press the brakes. I had the tires balanced and rotated first and the brakes look and feel fine. Theres no play in the rotors when I took off the tires. I can also drive the truck on surface streets up to

40ish mph with no vibration whatsoever. What are some potential solutions?? I feel like the wheels are coming off when it happens so I've avoided the highway altogether.
Reply to
Bryan Taylor

Sounds like the death wobble. Happended to me in my jeep. Try changing the steering damper/stabalizer.

Mike R> From: Bryan Taylor

Reply to
Mike Roper

bent or cracked rims? Alignment?

Reply to
txleex08

Check out your idler arm. May be worn.

Reply to
Bubba

OK, your all wrong, most likely the cause is your rotors being warped. Hence the reason it gets worse when you use the brakes. Are you getting a pulsation in your foot when you step on the brakes? Have you driven through water recently with hot brakes? Root casues of vibration in the wheel are balance (not alignment) Alignment causes tire wear and tracking problems. Vibrations at speeds are usually rotational problems. ALso check your tires for wear, if you notice wear figure out where the wear is occuring, be it in the middle or sides, more to the left or more to the right? Light pulsation should be there at any speed if the rotors are warped. You can check your tie rod ends by wiggling your tires from the 3 and 9 Oclock positions, its better if you get underneath and hold the tie rod ends and have someone else do the wigglin, if you grasp the tie rod ends tightly and you feel movement then they are bad. Could also be wheel bearings, grab your tires at 2 and 7 and wiggle if the tire wiggles then suspect your bearings, these possibly can be tightened as the castle nut may have moved, possible but not likely. These are the reasons for steering vibrations, have you r tires balanced.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

If you put the truck up on blocks (carefully) such that you can run up to

60 while standing still, you can isolate the problem to the drive train, including the drive shaft/u-joints.

Richard

Reply to
rdhrdh

Reply to
Bill Hall

Bill;

Ok, I'll bite. Why would you assume I'm joking (which I sometimes do, of course).

I've used this approach with success two out of two times. Once on my RX7, once on my Toyota 4WD SR5.

You can easily differentiate between wheel/brake left or right, and drive line joint problems. One only has to be a careful with suspending the wheels off the ground safely. You don't want the vehicle coming off the blocks, wandering off on its own, or worse.

Richard Harper Morgan Hill, Ca

Reply to
rdhrdh