vibration at higher speeds - causes?

I recently bought a 97 Camry LE with 170,000 miles on it. It drove nice and everything seemed great, except that at higher speed of 65+ , I feel the vibration from the road come through on the steering wheel. So I got myself a new set of premium tires as well as a wheel balance. The new tires and the balancing helped reduce but not eliminate this vibration that I feel on the steering wheels. Once I eliminate bad tires, misalignment, out of balance wheels what other possible causes am I left with? From what I have been reading on the postings, the worst most expensive case sounds like a bent axle. But this car has never been in an accident according to the CARFAX report I got before I bought the car. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
john

A worn CV joint is possible but do you think anybody will report running into a curb, that could bend an axle, even a big pot hole could bend it

Reply to
m Ransley

Buckled rim-spin the front wheels and see if they are running true. Runout of about 2mm or 1/10 in is the max. Believe it or not, some tyre places dont check for run-out when replacing tyres or reapairing.

Worn CV joints- drive the car slowly in a circle on both locks. If you hear a clacking noise or ticking, it means one or more of the CVs need replacing. If a CV is badly worn, it allows the drive-shaft (axle) to not sit in axial alignment with the road-wheel hence giving vibration.

Badly worn steering-suspension components- often badly worn ball-joints (one on each strut bottom), steering knuckles/tierod ends go unnoticed until the wheel/tyre on that side goes out of balance,..then the vibration causes the worn joint to move in time with the unbalance making a much larger problem.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

hi:

i meet the same problem. i changed new tires, balance is good. alginment has been done. there is still minor vibration when the speed is over 70. if you have handled it successfuly, pl tell me. your suggestion is realy appreciated.

Reply to
yjhsjtu