baterries

batteries

In new highlander hybrid has batteries and I heard they are dying in 5 years.

Is it true?

how well hybrid prius performs so far ?

Highlander is build on this same technology I guess.

So on base of performance of prius highlander hybrid can be evaluated.

Reply to
Anita

How can it? Truck hasn't been out but maybe 3 months. Warranty is probably longer than that on it (Prius is 10 years, 120,000 miles in CA). Not an issue.

Mileage number gains are not impressive over the non-hybrid model. It's around the mid 20's I believe from what most owner's are getting. It's touted more for its perofrmance gains than the fuel economy - even in Toyota's ads.

Go here for more info from the owners:

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Good article by Brock Yates in current Car and Driver on the dark side of hybrids. 1st off the claimed MPG is 25-40% more than you'll ever experience --- for a $10k cost premium price. Battery warranty against failure is 100k miles or 8 years. Battery capability does deterrioate over time (stores less power with age). Replacement battery is $5300 (Fords are $7200!) after warranty --- there goes long term resale value! Batteries are an environmental disaster when they do fail - nickle-metal hydride! Computer in the engine grid can fail (he claims many are) - this causes instant blackout at either 35 or 65 MPH --- hope a ttruck isn't behind you doing 90mph when this happens. The there the fact that many EMT/fir crews refuse to rescue crash victums fearing their electrocution! He says you'd have to drive 66,500 miles a year for 5 years or gas would have to hit $10/gallon to equal operating cost of cheaper regular corolla. So much for being green!

Reply to
Wolfgang

Not worth the extra money.

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

Wolfgang

NiMH batteries are not an environmental disaster. It's a common misperception amplified in popular press from time to time. However, you do not want to toss one into a fire. I think you might be thinking about nickel cadmium batteries (the cadmium), and only then, when sent to other nations for recycling. Of course, the assumption is that local and state agencies are doing the requisite oversight, though in Region 9, they damn well were. Equally hazardous in effect is lead-acid batteries. When failed a portion of the lead is in a soluble form that can readily leach into the environment. Lead effects are well documented though I think now there's a definite overreaction to lead, moreover when everyone blithely ignores the high soluble lead content in roadsides put there from the leaded gas days. In terms of overseas recycling, the US Environmental Justices Act makes US generated waste overseas accountable under US law. EPA oversees overseas recycling pursuant to the Act and to RCRA Subtitle C, the Clean Water Act and the Clean Air Act. Most of the developed nations have simliar requirements in force.

The reason I know about this is that I held a sub cabinet position in EPA for 12 years and co-wrote the EJA.

Reply to
1 of the Masses

Hybrid manufacturers, including Toyota at the corporate level, know that the required EPA test procedure is not accurate for gasoline powered vehicles and way off for hybrids. They are required by law to post these faulty numbers. Don't expect a salesman to provide this news.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Wrong. I know a few EMT and Fire people. All says this is FALSE!!

Reply to
Eddie

Ed

Spot on, there's no special hazard. The Department of Transportation (DOT) oversees and regulates (more or less), the advent and certification of a new designs and new concepts, and reviews the safety record for design flaws (more or less). The electric and hybrid designs doesn't lend itself to shock hazard, and safety designs incorporated further protect occupants and responders in every possible scenario ranging from crashes, fires to floodong from boneheads in So Cal who try to drive through roads clearly posted as "Closed" and "Flooded."

This is from a Toyota press statement Titled "Hybrid Hype? Fact and Fiction Surrounding the New Technology," issued on 06/22/2004 from Torrance, CA

"Can emergency workers get shocked by a hybrid that's been involved in an accident?

In the Prius, there are numerous safeguards to help ensure safe operation for drivers and protection of emergency response professionals in the event of an accident. High-voltage cables are located away from areas that workers might access, are painted orange, are shrouded in metal and have specific automatic disablement mechanisms to ensure the lines would have no voltage in them if an accident occurs.

Additionally, beginning with the first-generation Prius, Toyota has developed manuals and assisted in training exercises to ensure correct information is disseminated. These manuals are available on-line to all emergency response personnel. Most importantly, Prius hybrids have been on U.S. roads for five years and Toyota is not aware of any personal injury in the U.S. related to hybrid or EV electrical systems."

Here's the rest of the press statement, which has some great info on patent licensing and a word on diesels.

1 of the Masses