belts

Hi i need to replace my belts on my 87 yoda. My ac does not work so i can leave off that belt. Can someone tell me how to remove them. Any picture help would be greatt Thansk mark

Reply to
abrit1969

Yeah, I've been looking at that too. A bit confusing!

Ok, each belt has an additional idler arm and each idler arm includes a tightening screw (unless, like my truck, it fell off years ago).

Loosen the nut to the pulley holding the idler arm tight. The existing belt will go limp, and you can remove it.

When installing your new belt, you'll notice that it is not quite long enough to fit over the idler arm. This is where you start screwing in the tightening screw. Turn the tightening screw in just far enough that you can get your new belt on, then start turning the tightening screw the other direction to add tension to the belt.

Once the belt has tension on it, tighten the nut on the main belt's pulley, then release the tension on the tightening screw (it isn't really designed to provide support for the long term).

Sorry I don't have pictures.

If anyone else has a better technique, I'm all ears! ...wait. A newsgroup - I'm all eyes! :)

asked:

Reply to
jp2express

This is one of those jobs that if you gotta ask ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If you gotta ask, then you're a lot smarter than the fellow who just plunges in and screws something up... :>))

Reply to
TOM