CA smog test help???

Hi guys, hopefully one of you techs can give me an idea of what I'm up against....

I have a '86 Turbo 4runner, and I'm about to take out the auto tranny and put a 5-speed in. Are the smog Nazis gonna' have a fit or what? Of coures it won't hurt the emisions, but I checked on a smog machine printout, and saw that the techs enter the type of tranny, into the smog machine. Even though he won't notice the conversion, is the machine gonna freak when it went from Auto last year, to Manual this year?

Might I, god forbid, get bumped to a referee station due to the swap? Just trying to get an idea about what I'm up against.

Thanks all, Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Your best bet for info on this is to contact the California DMV. The switch might also have some impact on what the vehicle is classified as (as in would going from auto to manual make it a 'specially constructed vehicle'? It does alter what the VIN says the vehicle had when it was originally constructed.) They won't shoot you for calling with questions. ;)

FWIW, my truck is a manual tranny, always has been, however last time I had it smogged for tag renewal the smog check place punched it in as an automatic (says so on the print-out, which bugged me.) IIRC when I called the tech to question that, he said the DMV doesn't pay any attention to what they punch in on specs, as they go off the VIN. Not very reassuring if you've dropped a different size engine in your vehicle, eh? Mine passed, so I didn't worry about technicalities, didn't push the issue.

Reply to
Pookerz

I wouldn't waste my time at the Cal. DMV. The smog test is not under the jurisdiction of the DMV. Just go to one of the smog check stations and ask the mechanic.

Ride on Brewster

"Pookerz" wrote in :

Reply to
Brewster