Calaper guide pins..

I am just doing a basic break job on a 98 Tacoma, 4X4 and the stupid pins won't come out.. I have to saw then in half and then bang then out backwards. This certainly isn't my first break job, but is on this truck. Normally I just remove the spring clip and tap out the pins. These guy won't come out. They need to be replaced because of rust anyway. I had to drill one out.. What a crock. The metal of the pins is so soft any force from a hammer tends to mushroom the end over, then for sure they won't slide out. I finely got both pins out on one side after a hour or more work. I don't want to start the other side until I get replacement pins. The dealer said he has never had to replace the pins and they are on order!. I find that hard to believe, if nothing else they should be replaces because the pad's would never easily slide on the pins with all the rust. They also look to be slightly bowed, another reason they won't come out.

Is this common or am I not suppose to be able to tap the out easily.

Joel

Reply to
Joel

Umm, could it be that they are the type that are threaded?

SD

Reply to
Shopdog

I have seen many of the pins taken out the same way you did, im not sure why that idiot told you he never had to buy replace those pins, but honestly try smacking the side with the head one or two solid times. It doesnt sound like much but trust me it works alot of the time!!

Reply to
PeonHonda

Ah, okay.. I thought I was going nuts.. Well, the jury is still out on the 'nuts' part.. It's probably because the dealer well replace the whole caliper.. LOL

Joel

"PeonHonda" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...

Reply to
Joel