Removing hinge pins

I have some rust sprouting from my hood and door hinges. How do I remove the pins that hold the hinges on? Do these need to be pried off? Pry up the top pin on the doors and which side on the hood? Or am I way off base here? Steve

Reply to
popeyeball

Hood hinges don't come apart. Door hinges have a nut, on the bottom of the top hinge. Take this off, open the door, and lift. The door should come right off the vehicle. If you don't have a Jeep Wrangler, this may not work. ;o)

Service for these hinges is a drop of motor oil, as needed.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Umm, what flavor of Jeep?

On a CJ or Wrangler, the hinges unbolt, the pins don't come out, but the bolts do. Well, sort of anyway. The dash has to come off first and then you likely need a torch to break the thread sealer loose.....

Mike

Mike Romain

It's a 97 TJ I'll just treat the surface rust on the hood hinge - it's not serious. I forgot about the torq nuts on door hinge. I picked up a huge set of Lyle torx's (including the 51) at Sears for $32. Sears salesman said the no longer carry Craftsman torx but Lyle. Thanks for input. Steve

Reply to
popeyeball

How I got in this mess in the first place is I used some break loose when doing shocks. I should have flushed and lubricated but dumb mistakes remain dumb too long. I know, dumb using the break loose in the first place.

Reply to
popeyeball

If you ever do go for the door torx bolts you should be aware that the coat of paint will make the hole seem at least one size smaller. Use that bit and it will just crush the paint and strip things. (learned that one the hard way....)

Mike

Mike Romain

YOU DO NOT REMOVE THE PINS.

The pins are an integral part of the hinge for the doors. For the doors, remove the nut at the bottom of the pin (if there is one) and lift the doors off. The hinge that is attached to the door has the pin attached to it, and the hinge and its pin come off together.

The hood is a hinge, sorta like a gate hinge. The hinge is unbolted from the hood and the cowling, and replaced as a unit.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

After a big cottonwood ate my drivers side door, I pulled the door by removing the 6 torx bolts that held the door to the hinge. Then I went to the junk yard and pulled a replacement door. Now I add one part to the "essential tools" if I ever have to pull another door: 6 new bolts with real heads I can get a wrench on! There is not enough space to get a rachet with the torx bit into the door opening for at least 3 of those bolts (unless the door is folded back by a tree). My salvation was a new pair of vise grips with sharp enough teeth to grab the heads of the torx bolts to work them out.

I'm try> If you ever do go for the door torx bolts you should be aware that the

Reply to
Will Honea

It should be noted that full hard doors weigh about 75lbs, so 'just lift them off' isn't as easy as it sounds.

Reply to
yjarray