Center Caps for 4Runner '96 thru 2001

Does anyone know what color silver Toyota used on the center caps for this year (96-01) 4Runner? Mine have flaked away and look pretty bad. Called Toyota and they didn't know. Anyone have any success painting them themselves? Thanks! ~J

Reply to
Jimbobean

I had the same problem with the center caps on my 2000 Tundra. The dealer's parts people didn't have a clue but one of the service writers said they have a guy who refurbishes the center caps and all he does is sand and paint them. He suggested I go to Pep Boys or Auto Zone and look for the correct color.

At Pep Boys I found some silver spray paint, Dupli Color, High Performance Wheel Coating that looked like a perfect match. There is no color number but the cap shows the color. I've done all 4 of mine and they look better than new.

I feathered where the paint had flaked away with some light emery paper and washed all the dirt and dust off. I found that 4-5 light coats of the spray paint, with 10 minutes between coats, worked the best. The light coats prevents bubbling, pooling and running.

Good luck

Skip

Reply to
skipfromla