Remote Starter for 2000 4Runner

I stopped at my local offroad supply store and inquired about a remote starter for my girfriends 2000 4Runner. They asked me if it had a factory security system. After telling him that it did, he proceeded to tell me that they are more difficult and I would have to add on a module to match up to the factory security system.

He ended up selling me on a unit made by Audiovox called the APS400. It seems to have many features that I may not need, including a siren. All I am really looking for is 2 remotes that will lock/unlock the doors, and of course, the remote starter itself.

The unit plus installation is $350.00, but that seem a little high to me. I also wonder if the APS400 isn't an older model? Looking at some other Audiovox units, it almost seems as though this unit is somewhat lower tech.

The prices on the remote starters look like they run in the $75.00 - $200.00 range, without installation. I can't locate the APS400 to find an advertised price, but if better units are in the 100 dollar range, it seems as though the installation cost is pretty high.

Any recommendations for adding a remote starter to a factory security system? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
3toyotas

I checked on those for my Tacoma. They were advertised as $180 including installation from a national chain. Not sure about the brand. When I called they asked about my truck and they said it would be about $240. Another chain advertised the unit itself for $99. I called and was told installation would run about $200. My truck does not have power windows, locks or a security system, so maybe that's why yours ran $350? I know that if your 4Runner has an ignition key with a security chip in it, that adds to the installation cost too. I guess the only way to get an affordable installation is to do it yourself. For me, that's a bit beyond my capabilities.

Reply to
Tbag

Check with your dealer. I bought my 2000 4Runner used from a Toyota dealer and had them include installation of a remote starter with the sale of the vehicle. When they did the work, the bill (which I didn't pay extra for) came to $206 and some change. They assured me that although the unit itself was not a Toyota unit (Toyota doesn't make them apparently), they stood behind the unit and the work and I have had no problems with it in two months. For that price I would think it would be worth it.

Mine is the limited model and has the factory equipped security system for that model. The remote unit they put in my truck is the Pursuit Series Model PRO-OE4BS. I don't know anything about it or its manufacturer other than it's worked okay for me.

Good luck

Reply to
Gary