Chains or cables

I have a new 2004 Tacoma 4x4 with 265/70 R16 M+S tires. I am planing to drive to the local ski resorts this winter and have a few questions about using cables or chains.

I have read the owner's manual and it discusses chains. Can cables be used? or should chains be installed for the snow/icy roads?

Is there an advantage/disadvantage with cables on the front tires as well as the back?

Thank you very much.

Kevin

Reply to
astro_nutter

I've used both on my Tundra and got tired of all the hassle of putting them on (strangely enough, it was always cold and icy) with arthritic hands. I went with Spikes Spider chains. I leave the mounts on all winter (it takes 5 minuts per wheel to put them on) and if I need the chains, they take about 30 seconds a wheel to put on. They take even less time to remove. They don't need to be adjusted once mounted, don't beat your wheel wells, don't rip off your wheel cylinders and don't fall off.

They are expensive but, in my humble opinion, well worth what I paid for. them.

I have 4WD and put them on the rear tires. Never had a problem with control on ice, snow or mud. Your tire size uses the same model as mine do.

Take a look:

And, no, I don't own any stock in the company.

Skip

Reply to
Skip