Tire chains - '04 F150

Got a question about tire chains for my new 2004 F150. The dealer had me sign a waiver from Ford advising against using chains. I have 255-70-17 " tires. I thought this was probably just posturing against warranty repairs by Ford, but when I tried the chains on the rear wheels they are really close to rubbing the p-brake cable and shock tube. These chains are from my old '88 truck with 32x15" tires and they are the real deal, heavy cross chains, I guess about 5/16" steel links. But they fit these tires perfectly. Well, perfectly except for clearance :-(

Anyone out there using chains on the rear? Oh, I forgot, this is a 4x4. The clearance is no better on the front, and the stuff to repair would be much more expensive. Should I get cable chains instead? Or just forget the tire chain idea?

Thanks,

-- Bill Pounds

Pounds on Wood

Well, that is quite a dilemma. I live in the Calif mountains where non-4x4 vehicles frequently must install chains. 4x4's most likely must carry chains, but most often can get buy with good snow tires. The deciding factor is the Highway Patrol. I have never had to installed chains on my F350SD and '92 Bronco. But I must always carry chains. So, I suggest that you just buy a set of cable chains to keep in the truck hoping you never have to install them.

Reply to
Mellowed

Perhaps try a different set? I just got back from a weekend in the S. CA mountains a few minutes ago and I saw an awful lot of vehicles with chains on. I run 35" XTerrains and only had to slip it in to 4WD a couple times due to ice/snow over the whole weekend.

I don't think I saw any 4WD trucks with aggressive tires with chains on.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

I'm in socal as well. The CHP is paranoid here about a little snow, and require chains way too often IMO. I hauled those chains around for 16 years in my old truck and never had to put them on. I did get inspected twice and had to show the officer that I had them, but with 4WD never had to use them. Still, I don't want to carry chains that I could not, or should not, use. Just in case.

Thanks for the advice about getting cable chains. I think I will.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood