Chains on a Sahara

Arggg...not that I anticipate needing them but... The manual for my new Sahara says not to use snow chains. I guess it's because of the reduced clearance with the 30" tires. Any thoughts on this other than running studs all winter? Please try to keep the humor to a dull roar. I know all about, "real jeeps don't....!"

Happy Holidays

Reply to
Ahoyskpr
4WD vehicles (including Jeeps) don't need chains or studs. Being a Sahara it may have the Trac-Lock rear, that along with front wheel help. Have you not driven it snow yet? There is an earlier thread on this subject (11-24-03) you may want to read
Reply to
JimG

I carry chains on my "Real" CJ-7 I have to admit that the only time they have been installed was in the driveway to make sure they fit right. However I would rather lay on my belly in the snow and mud for 20 minutes putting on chains than to make a long walk out of someplace.

Reply to
fletcher

In my experience if you can't get out in 4x4, chains aren't likely to help unless it is glass ice and even then.....

I have seen several folks try to use chains on runs I have been on. Once in the spring in mud and the other times in snow with a soft bottom in places and the 'all' had serious issues getting anywhere at all.

Man those sets of chains dug holes so fast my dog was drooling with jealousy.... And he was a 150 lb terrier cross that 'liked' trying to find his way to China. Seriously, he got out and tried to help the tires dig more when they stopped spitting mud. It was pretty funny.

We had to tell them to either park it and run shotgun or take the damn chains off or at least get at the end of the row so no one has to pull you out until the trip back....

I have gotten out from a winter camp 15 miles back on snowmobile/logging trails with 1" of glare ice on top of slush in a flash freeze situation. We couldn't walk on the trail, but the Cherokee with BFG AT's could crawl it in 1st low with amazing control. I ran a 100 yd. empty first just to see if I could, did a 5 point turn and came back and filled it with gear, a couple duffels on the roof and 4 adult sized people and it just purred along.

Mike

fletcher wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Although it may be true that some folks don't think 4WD vehicles need chains, there are other folks, say the California Highway Patrol, that have an exactly opposite opinion should the driver care to be allowed past their checkpoints. Under moderate conditions, the 4wd just needs snow tires with either M+S or the newer arctic logo, but must carry chains [dunno how rigorously that is enforced]. When it gets bad, even the 4wd must mount chains or take a break.

Personally I prefer studs for snot ice, which work very nicely with 4wd. Particularly if you like STOPPING which 4wd doesn't really help a whole lot with.

If the tire isn't too oversize or there is good lift, the high priced cable chains will usually clear. Unfortunately the owners manual does say verboten.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Guess I should have been more specific when I started this string. All I really intend to use the chains for is to pass CA highway check points. However, why even buy 'em if they won't fit a Sahara... Thanks for all the replies.

Holiday chear to all!

Reply to
Ahoyskpr

So you can pass those !#@$%!@#$ California highway checkpoints, of course. This leaves you with options:

o Stay home or wherever you might be on those occasions where the weather triggers the checkpoints. This tends to be rather often in some areas as you have to carry them in any snow condition even in a 4x4.

o Buy a couple cheap sets of chains that you know you'll never put on, and just plan on staying put for a day at most on those occasions where you are required to actually mount them on a 4x4 to get thru a checkpoint. Probably the cheapest alternative since the really ugly storms tend to be rare.

o Buy a couple sets of the expensive radial cable chains and keep them tight and don't drive over 15 mph. [Can't recall what speed the CHP uses for convoying when the weather is really that bad...] This might include buying a set of slightly smaller winter tires so the chains will fit.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Just curious but what is a "CA highway check points"?

Reply to
Joe

As you enter the mountain regions during winter storms, the cops set up checkpoint areas to make sure that your vehicle has the state mandated equipment for driving in winter storm conditions. Mainly that you have snow tires, chains, 4x4, etc. Markings along the major roads are there all year round showing the location of the areas where the road has been widened to allow drivers to stop and mount their chains [or pay someone to do so]. On some roads, there are metal gates that can close the entire road to traffic if needed. Kinda like the big freeway gates across I-80 in Wyoming.

Sadly, none of the checks include the highway patrol having you demonstrate that you have a clue how to actually drive and stop safely in snow.

Why are these there? To prevent another Donner Party as you cross the Sierra on I-80 thru Donner Pass.

Reply to
Lon Stowell