Rough Idling 1990 Toyota Pickup (22RE; Automatic)

My friend's 1990 Toyota Pickup is an automatic and when it's stopped and in Drive the cabin is vibrating fairly heavily. It's certainly not smooth. Is this normal? I doubt it, because I can't imagine Toyota selling new vehicles that did this and expecting consumers to buy them. What could cause this? Also, when he puts it in Drive from Park or Neu., the rear end raises and the vehicle would like to lunge forward a bit. Could the idle just be too high?

On another note, how does one tell if it is time to replace the timing chain? Is it possible without removal and inspection?

Thanks.

Reply to
Pih Stof