Changing CV axles

How much of a problem to change the CV axles on a 2x2 Highlander 3.0L (V6)? Approximate time requirements.

The reason I am asking is that I am experiencing vibration (70 plus mph) on the right front feels like out of balance tire, but same vibration when tires are rotated.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I am mechanically inclined, have changed timing chain on 22R, done many brake jobs, etc.

Reply to
nobody

You have not described the symptom set of a bad CV joint. You have described the symptom of an out-of-balance tire.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

May also want to check your idler arm. A worn one can cause a vibration. They are cheap and easy to change.

Reply to
Bubba

Question: 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager, mileage: 55,000. Steering wheel vibration at 70 mph. Brought the van in 3 times for wheel balancing but vibration still exists when I reach 70. Last time in for balancing they told me that they saw some tire feathering and that perhaps I needed new struts and shocks. Is this possible with only 55,000 carefully driven miles?

Answer: CV joints that are starting to fail will cause a vibration like what you are experiencing. Your struts and shocks are not the cause of the feathering. Improper wheel alignment can cause tires to feather, however. There are three adjustments for wheel alignment, caster, camber and toe in/toe out.

See also:

If the joint is identified as the problem, try Cardone Select new halfshafts from you local parts store. Around $70-80 with *lifetime warranty*. I have used these and also re-boot original halfshafts with Redline CV-2 synthetic grease if the joints are good. Owner's call.

Reply to
johngdole

Jeff,

The tires have been balanced and rotated and I still have a vibrati> You have not described the symptom set of a bad CV joint. You have

Reply to
nobody

Reply to
nobody

You still have not described the symptom of a bad CV joint, and once again described an out of balance tire.

The CV Joint will make a clicking noise during a full-lock turn, and as the symptoms get worse, the clicking will come when you back out of the driveway and into the street, then turn the wheel and drive off.

I'm not going to tell you that there is no way for a CV joint to cause a vibration, but I've never felt a vibration from a bad CV joint, and I do not recall people with known bad CV joints describing a vibration as part of the problem they wanted to fix. You could have a bad CV Joint, but I'd expect noise at parking lot speeds before vibrations are set up.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I agree with Jeff that most outer CV joint failures from torn boots are clicking joints while turning and is what we commonly see.

However, I'll link to this web site on vibration caused by inner joint and how Gerald's diagnostics procedure works:

The 2carpros web site I attached earlier is the only one describing something similar to yours and they attributed it to failing cv joint. I don't know because I haven't seen this type of failure mode.

Reply to
johngdole

While we are at it: Autozone's repair guide:

# A shudder or vibration when accelerating is often caused by excessive play in either the inboard or outboard joint but more likely it is the inboard plunge joint. These vibrations can also be caused by a bad intermediate shaft bearing on transaxles with equal-length half shafts. On FWD vehicles with transverse-mounted engines, this kind of vibration can also be caused by loose or deteriorated engine/transaxle mounts. Be sure to inspect the rubber bushings in the engine's upper torque strap to rule out this possibility. A vibration or shudder that increases with speed or comes and goes at a certain speed may be the result of excessive play in an inner or outer joint. A bent axle shaft can cause the same problem. Note, however, that some shudder could also be inherent to the vehicle.

# A cyclic vibration that comes and goes between 45 and 60 mph (72 and

100 km) may lead the technician to think there is a wheel that is out of balance. However, as a rule, an out-of-balance wheel produces a continuous vibration. A more likely cause is a bad inner tripod CV joint. The vibration occurs because one of the three roller tracks has become dimpled or rough. Every time the tripod roller on the bad track hits the rough spot, it creates a little jerk in the driveline, which the driver feels as a cyclic vibration.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
johngdole

Jeff,

I would have to agree with you, but if it was an out of balance tire, the vibration would shift to other locations when I rotate the tires.

I jacked up the front right and ran it up to 70 mph...bad vibration. Then I took the tire off and ran it up to 70 mph again, still vibration but not as bad when tire was on. Then I lowered the right side and jacked up the left side. Again I ran it up to 70 mph and it was smooth; now vibrations.

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
nobody