Replace CV boots/axles

Experienced/Knowledgeable Comments from Do-It-Yourselfers:

On my '99 Accord 5spd manual with 110,000 miles, the front CV Boots are beginning to have "sweat stains", indicating some leakage of the grease-packed CV joints. I'm told it's easier to just replace the whole side axle, rather than replace the boots and messy grease.

Are the dealer parts worth the extra cost, or have you had good luck with another supplier? I see re-built axles anywhere from $60 on up, browsing online and ebay. If not the dealer, who specifically would you recommend?

On DIY scale of 1 - 3, I'm 2.

Thanks, Pat

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

"Pat Quadlander" wrote in news:8P6dnQ2PkfB2jRbZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

If no dirt or water has got into the joints, by all means salvage your horrendously expensive and top-quality driveshafts and install new grease and boots.

If you use new OEM boots, this will probably be the last time you'll ever have to replace the boots, and the shafts will last almost the life of the car. Aftermarket shafts will be OK for a couple of years, then all bets are off.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I agree! If you can install OEM boots and OEM grease it will be the last axles you'll need. I took the "rebuilt" route on my 88 Accord and even with the lifetime warranty the axles still needed to be replaced two years later. I rebuilt my 97 CRV's axles after an inboard boot failed, took about 1.5 hours to do the job plus parts. It is a messy job but not hard if you are a experienced DIY'er.

Reply to
Rich Gray