CV joint repair -- how much?

Just noticed tonight that one of my front CV joint boots has a tear. Gear head friend said fixing such usually means replacing it on both wheels and that the whole joint gets replaced. Has anoyone had this done? If if so, how much did it cost? He said it would be about $400, unless I brought it to Subaru where it would be about $1,000. Car is a

1999 Forester, 106K.
Reply to
Rob1066

Rather than replace the CV boot, you can buy a remanufactured axle assembly for around $150 plus a core charge. That's what I paid for a WRX Impreza axle assy (probably the same PN as a Forester), but you have to give them the old one to get the core charge back. This includes both inner and outer CV joints, boots and axle pre-assembled. Probably an hour or two of labor for a mechanic who knows what he's doing, but not really an easy DIY job.

I don't think you have to replace both at the same time, but I'm not a mechanic. Both of my front inner CV joints were failing, so I replaced both of them anyway.

Reply to
ujduche

There are two boots on each side, only one of the four is torn is torn, so why would you need to touch the other side? Typical cost in Oz is $A100-$150 to r&r one boot, $650 or $900 for dealer to r&r one reman or new CV respectively and maybe 2/3 that price elsewhere... but I just got a reman shaft & inner joint with a new outer joint fitted for $154 all up (15 mins labour) with 2 yr warranty. Not bad. Might pay to shop around. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

IF the joint is not noisy and if you are mechanically inclinded, what about replacing just the boots after marking all relative positions, washing in mineral spirits, drying the parts, greasing and replacing the boots? Each boot kit with boot, clamps and the grease needed is about

40 bucks?

In case you decide to go this route, remember to put about 40 grams of the grease inside the crevices in the boot itself, yes the rubber needs to be lubricated.

Seating the rubber boot on the axle with a rubber (wood) mallet, before closing the clamp is importarnt, otherwise the clamp may break.

Rob1066 wrote:

Reply to
AS

A reman halfshaft only costs 50-75 USD. Mechanics time is 80/hr USD. Figure $150-$200 per side with a independent shop. I'd only fix the side that's broke.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

WHAT?

Reply to
Limey Lurker

I paid recently $60 for reman of halfaxle/shaft and about $50 or so for the swap itself. I can recommend a shop in Chicago rebuilding that stuff.

A.

Reply to
alf

15 mins labour?!?! Did you do it yourself?

Now, I saw a guy replace the shaft on my AWD Tercel in about 20 minutes. Piece of cake! So, when I decided to do my Mazda 626, NINE HOURS!!!

Then, the next day, I heard the OTHER axle clicking. This one went better, only 2.5 hours!!! (it took TWO HOURS on the first one just to get the axle nut off!!!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

No - mine would havew been closer to the 9 hrs! Left it there and went to shops for a quick coffee. Came back and all done. 3000Km up since with no concerns. Probably a bit impractical to ship your car all the way to Granville NSW though :)

Reply to
hippo

OK, we're going in tomorrow. Shop guy if they need to replace the axle, it's a $250 job. That sounds reasonable. If the joint is in good shape, then obviously less.

Reply to
Rob1066

Prices vary. Here in Seattle, a shop I trust wants a flat $169 for each side with reman axles from NAPA. I've seen readerboards with prices as low as $89, but I'd be a little leery about those.

Reply to
nobody >