Coaster Brakes - dragging / sticking after rain / wet roads

We may have a problem with the brakes on a 2006 Toyota Coaster bus (6 cyl diesel) that someone here may be able to advise on. Hopefully I'm not too far OT.

The driver says the brakes drag or lock on a little after being driven in the rain and then being parked overnight. After using the brakes half a dozen times they come back to feeling "normal".

The brakes (front disks & rear self adjusting drums) are otherwise working well and have plenty of friction material left.

My only ideas are dust / water causing binding in the drums until a bit of heat dries it out. Has anyone experienced this before? Any advice gratefully received.

regards r.

Reply to
Robbo

Parked after driving in the rain, so the rotors are hot and wet...

Flash rust on the rotor/drum surfaces? That will make the highly polished surfaces on the rotors rust fast. When you hit the brakes a few times, you wear the rust off and the brakes feel 'normal' again.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thanks Bruce - I think you are right. I did some more searching and found reference to the same issue with some toyota cars. regards r.

Reply to
Robbo

I had this problem with a GM truck. That got so grabby sometimes that it would lock up rear axle at light effort. I cured it by lightly turning drums (just enought to true them) and installing new shoes with a lower metalic content.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Thanks Snoman. Weve got a break comming up in a few weeks. We'll pull the rear wheels and see what they look like then. regards r.

Reply to
Robbo

For what it is worth my rear brake and drums looked okay other than I could see the the metalic linings on pads had some rust in pads. I normally do not turn drums but theses were massive (13 x 3.5) on rear of 1 ton truck and the problem was very annouying at times. When that axle tried to lockup/grab, you knew it.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Yeah, but the funky metallic pads only grab and send you through the windshield on the first stop of the day, they behave fine after that.

Some vehicles have little quirks you have to learn. ;-)

(Gee, there's a 1999 C-3500 utility bed parked outside. Now if Toyota would get off their duffs and build a proper 1-Ton Cab-Chassis I could replace it with when it finally dies...)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I bought my 2000 K3500 new on Nov 1999 and it started doing it when it was a few years old. It tended to get worse with age and a "dealt" with it by lightly riding brakes for about 100 yards when I first started out after sitting for a while. When I turned drums to true them and used after market semi metalic the problem went away.

On a side note, I to am waiting to see what Toyota does in the fullsized 3/4 and 1 ton P/U market in next few years. GM trucks are getting butt ugly and cheaper built too. Those big massive looking bumper wings in front of front tires are chrome plated plastic! One small whack and they could be gone and your wallet would be emptier too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan