Crate engine for 1991 V6 SR5?

Has anyone ever heard of a crate engine for the SR5 PU auto 4x4? A replacement with more ooomf and better mileage?

This original motor is still going strong at 158k miles, but the V6 gets crappy mileage (13.5 mph) and is gutless. I love this truck, but it's irritating that new V8s have the pull and get better mileage! :)

Just dreaming since it's Xmas...

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Wolfgang

Swap your motor for a new 4litre V6 or slightly older V8 (Lexus motor) Both get way better power and economy.

Reply to
Scotty

As in a crate engine? I could only find the 22REs in crates... only engines I found for the V6 were rebuilds. ?

I assume you mean rebuild since you sau it's older....

If you were to choose between the two, which would you get? And will they both fit without modifications?

Thanks for the input! Randy

Reply to
Randy

Good for you! If I was getting 17/22 I would not be thinking about this. But I wonder if I'd get 17/22 with that motor... are you in CA? (We get the worst gas mileage in the country b/c they add all kinds of crap to the gas to lower emissions.) I'm only thinking that if I'm going to bother to upgrade I'm going to want more out of this than a mile or two per gallon. Another poster suggested your engine, I believe, but if I were to go from 13.5 to 15 I wouldn't be pleased -- unless there was something else in the deal -- like if it was the Lexus V8 with far more power...

Thanks for the feedback.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Find yourself a front cut from a Lexus V8. I believe that theres no real mods apart from a bell houseing adapter if you have solid front end, if IFS front end I think a lift kit is required for no extra mods. Id go for the V8 as with all that extra torque you dont need to put your foot down as much, hence better mileage. I have info from an guy near here thats getting

400-450kms from 60 litres (you will have to work that one out) but thats a shit load better than I get with the V6 and hes running 33 inch tyres.

Unless the new 4litre V6 fits straight in (havent heard of one been done yet) the V8 would be a better option.

Reply to
Scotty

The 4L V6 is fairly new (03) so probably difficult/$ to locate. The GM 3.8L V6 seems to be a very popular conversion - cost about that of a rebuild on a Yota 3L. A V8 is probably too long - need to modify firewall and radiator mount and oil pan plus too heavy. Do a Google search on "GM 3.8 Toyota" or such. I've also read of folks using the Supra 6 in older Toyotas but it is ong too.

Reply to
Wolfgang

If your concerned about fuel mileage.. There is no easy solution.. most swaps are a serious pain in the ass.. ALL V-8 swaps require considerable mods to the firewall, radiator support, and a complete change of the driveline.. you would need a new tranny, because the stock Yota tranny just isn't built to handle that kind of power.. If gas mileage is what your after, then swap in a 22re and a 5 speed tranny.. it won't do anything for you in the power department, but your not driving a full-size, therefore get used to it. The ONLY "bolt-up" swap is not a 3.8 chevy (never heard of it) it is a 3.8 BUICK or a 231..... the stock motor from old regals and Grand Nationals.. I have done a 231 swap in my 86' Toy, and it is virtually bolt up with the right parts, and a Turbo 350 Auto Tranny.. It has LOADS of power (I can spin off 35's) but Mileage isn't great.... Mine's a toy, so it doesn't bother me. Ian

Reply to
EasyE

Check out this link for a few "under the hood" Pics of my Rock Rig with a

231 swap.....

EasyE

Tried this link and it requires a log-in. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Have a look at

Theres a heap of room for a V8.

Reply to
Scotty

EasyE

A small V8 like the Toyota one doesnt require fire wall adjustment at all. Even uses the same engine mounting I think.

Reply to
Scotty
13.5 MPG? That must be a 4x4 with an AT.

Try the 3.4L swap. You can get a used 3.4L engine with low miles from Japan shipped to you door for around $1K US. The 3.4L is a near bolt in replacment for the 3.0L engine. You can buy a swap kit or find the parts yourself.

And the 3.4L has 190HP V the 3.0L with 150. And later model 3.4L love to be blown. :)

I was planning to do this swap, but my old V6 3.0L won't die.

Reply to
Eddie

A different way to go - I have a 2005 Tacoma with the 2.7L, maybe try one of those. It's a really good truck engine, makes 164 bhp & about

180 lp-ft of torque which is probably comparable to or better than the original V6 for your truck. I don't know about the fit but since it's an inline 4 chnces are good. Mileage runs about 22, you should get a much taller rear end to go with it.

One thing I was wondering about all the swap advice, no one seems to mention the electronics. Better talk to someone who really knows about this before you proceed.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Or to save all the hastles and shaggin around, recondition yoru V6 with decent exhaust and stop planting boot. Driving with economy in mind will do wonders with the V6. I just got 480kms from a tank full on mine and that was loaded up in hot weather with 31/10.5s on it.

Recond yours put smaller tyres with higher pressures and remove all roof racks and other crap thats holding it back. Make sure that all the grease nipples are greased, polish the car and make sure its in good tune and you will save a heap in gas. Then again, Id still go for a Toyota V8 if your going to transplant anything into it.

Reply to
Scotty