dumb airbag question

I just saw a video of Denver in winter where a line of traffic is hitting ice. Each car in turn slams on their brakes only to slam into the car ahead of them.

Has anyone ever tried putting bumper deployed airbags or cars or trucks?

Joe

Reply to
Joe Townsend

airbags go off after you hit another car, and are inflated in the time between impact and when your head smashes the dash. It would seem to be kinda pointless to inflate a balloon after your car smashed into another. you'd have to have some type of "impending accident" detector, and that, would be a handfull.

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk

Wouldn't real snow tires work better, at least to protect your front? A stout hitch receiver can protect the rear if it's not tucked under the bodywork.

Ken

Joe Townsend wrote:

Reply to
Ken Shelton

WHo cares just a decent set of bars up front will stopp the damage to your car! isnt that what your worried about?

Reply to
Scotty

Sure, the bars might prevent damage to your car, but what about you?? cars have crumple zones for a purpose to absorb the impact of an accident. those bars would be the opposite of that leaving you much more vulnerable to a more serious energy I'd rather loose my car than my ability to feel my legs.