Just a Saab ng newbie question

Although it's our 3rd saab, it's my first (few) time around this ng.The other day, while following a 9000 CD rusted to the bone with my new '06 9-3 aero combi, the question strucked me ; is there a clivage between pre-GM saab owners and post-GM in this ng ? Should I be careful when posting to take that into account ?

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

Seems that this is up to what you want. I've never seen a rusted 9000, the body is galvanised steel. Good luck with your new aero combi, very nice one.

Reply to
Johannes

Well..... the C900 owners are justly proud of their steeds. 9000 owners are perhaps more quietly confident of their car's heritage.. There's some debate as which was the last 'genuine' pre-GM Saab but no-one seems to get too excited over it IMHO.

Owners of the newer models are equally welcome though.

There's a general feeling that V6 versions don't really cut it though. Maybe that's because it was a Vauxhall engine with a timing *belt* . Yuk !

Puzzled about the rusty 9000 btw.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

in article %SBtf.117577$ snipped-for-privacy@weber.videotron.net, Junkyard Engineer at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 31/12/2005 20:29:

Nah, we just think GM SAABers a little dim :)

Personally, I'm more than a little jealous of more vintage SAAB owners. My personal fancy is for a Sonett I (but whose is not, eh?) or more realistically, a late 96 V4.

I think the problem people have with the GM/SAAB is that the NG900 was an appalling car all round. I'm sorry to NG900 owners, but it is. It's horrible. The Vauxhall Vectra (Opel Cavalier?) that shared the same platform was a far superior car and in fact not at all a bad car. I don't know why putting the same engine into a SAAB made it so bad, but it did. The car was awful. The 9000 continued to be a good (and better) car throughout the release of the NG900, anyway.

The influence GM had on SAAB to release V6 cars, too, was equally bad. Come on, since the early 1970s, SAAB focussed on 4 cylinder turbo cars and made them great. Funnily enough, there was a 2.1 900i which "broke the mould" and is not seen too favourably amongst C900 owners.

In perspective, the NG900 was around for a mere 5 years and as such those which have survived are probably okay cars. I don't think there is a "pure SAAB" vs "GM SAAB" schism, since the matter of determining "pure SAAB" would be highly contested by our V4 and two-stroking friends here :) I think we see SAAB as SAAB, with or without GM ... Give or take, one little blip.

So, no! Post away and pay no heed whatsoever to what vintage of SAAB you own. I've always used my experience to help others, and in fact, I know a little more than I should admit about Vauxhall (Opel) cars and have been known to help the odd NG900 owner here and there :) But ... Shhh! My C900 cred would suffer if that got out ;)

Happy New Year everyone,

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

"Pooh Bear" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com...

Thanks :)

We had 3 9-3, 2 4 cyl turbo and the newest V6 turbo ( 1 hatchback, 1 trunk,

1 combi). It's a far superior engine so far compared to the 4 cyl (2 weeks) except for gas consumption but it's new and -20 C outside. Smooth at every RPM and no lag. Don't know where it comes from, but pretty good to me. Before purchasing it, I test drove a BMW 330xi and an A4 3.0 L (both V6) and saw no real difference in terms of performance (winter time testing). So to me, that's a pretty good point of comparison.

Well, yes it was rusty. The trunk lid and the back body side behind the wheels were pretty bad. But I live in Montreal, so calcium and winters makes it hard on cars.

BTW, I also remember one friend near 1992 who owned a 900. He was so pissed off with electric problem, it was a running gag.

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

The BMW is not a V6, it's an inline 6. Big difference in terms of maintenance and longevity.

Reply to
James Sweet

....don't know where the latest V6 engine comes from but it will have to be good to earn the same reputation as the Saab 2 and 2.3 litre engines. Do V6's need more maintenance than straight 6's? Tell us more! As to whether GM Saabs are considered to be 'proper' Saabs, maybe they will be considered to be so if GM folds or they start making Saabs in China. (Just a joke folks, just a joke...!).

Reply to
Pidgeonpost

Which will be discontinued when the 9-5 is replaced.

Recent 9-3s don't use it either.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

You Mean they're going to build Saabs in China INSTEAD of Mexico????

There goes the quality .

There are no "pure" cars 'out there' even Porsche is riddled with Bosh products and has a history of VW parts inclusion. GM has a history of good cars and of cr*p. Depends on which one's the bean counters had a large say in.

Enjoy your new Saab. I'll stick with my GENUINE 9000

Reply to
joe schmoe

You mean genuine Fiat Croma or Lancia Thema?

Reply to
MH

I've seen a number of rusty 9k's, and both my '92 and '93 had the beginnings of body rot when I parted with each of them. The road salt they use here in New England (Northeast USA) seems to have no problem getting through even the superior coachwork of the 9000. I'll do just about anything to the engines and drivetrains to keep my cars on the road as they age, but I don't do rust... ;-)

Reply to
Fred W

The similarity is superficial. Some dimensions are identical, e.g. wheelbase. But there is a huge difference in substance. Nothing is transferable. I know because I have owned a Fiat Croma CHT for 10 years and a Saab 9000 for 8 years.

Reply to
Johannes

I understand the doors and front window of the 9000 and Fiat Croma are the same.

Reply to
MH

No they are not. The doors are of the same external shape, but that's all. The doors on the 9000 are heavier, the locking mechanism is different and the window motors are more durable. The doors on the 9000 have a quality feel, whereas the doors on the italian cars are flimsy; the window surrounds on my Fiat Croma rusted, the plastic interior warped and detached. Not so on the 9000. It may be possible to use the Fiat Croma windscreen, but again the window colouring and sun-shade on the 9000 is different.

Reply to
Johannes

Australia, I'm sorry to say!

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

And the front suspension?

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

Front suspension is MacPherson struts like most transverse engined FWD cars these days. Nevertheless, The Fiat Croma and the 9000 handles very differently. The Fiat Croma turns in nimbly, but the 9000 has great straight line stability, which is nice and relaxing.

Reply to
Johannes

or from Subaru ;(

"Richard Sutherland-Smith" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@richard.ss.clear.net.nz...

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

Not no more... GM sold off their stake in Fuji Heavy (Subaru's parent).

Jeremy

Junkyard Eng> or from Subaru ;(

Reply to
BK

Yes I believe it's a product of GMH here in Australia. I'm not sure if it's a fully-original design but GM in the US like the engine so much they're planning to use it in quite a number of their brand platforms, including Saab.

For some reason Holden has actually got a very good team of people designing powerplants. After all the Holden Commodore (which the Monaro that's sold in the US as a different badge) is one of Australia's most popular cars. Doesn't mean they're any good though. 8-)

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site