1991 Technology in 2003 VW ??

On 11 Apr 2004, MChamb8660 wrote: "My friend took his 91 Passat in to have the brakes checked. It needed rear brakes, both sides almost to the metal. It only has 48,000 mi and the front brakes have plenty of life left in them. The VW mechanic said this was normal for the Passat and they will use up rear brakes faster than fronts due to "more pressure to the rear brakes for better brake balance and faster stops." Has VW found a way to change the laws of physics or is this really a bunch of crap? "

Just got back from the VW from a oil change and can guess what he said about my 2003 Passat - "needed rear brakes, both sides almost to the metal". AND rotors ! @27304 miles! Then he said "this was normal for the Passat and they will use up rear brakes faster than fronts due to "more pressure to the rear brakes for better brake balance and faster stops."

Are the VW service reps reading and memorizing this board ? Are they still being paid base + commission? Did Vw enginners use 1991 technology in the 2003 Passat? or are they still buying and using early 1990 parts from inventory on the assembly line? I'm pissed at the VW poor enginnering and materials ! This is after when I asked for the price of a new antenna as I signed in and he said that he thought it was about $20 but would chex with parts - an hour later after telling me about the brakes (to which I said NO), he came back and said the antenna was $ 56. $56 for piece of metal with threads, which they must buy in the thousand !

What happened to brake squeal when brakes wear down? If rear brakes wear out faster, why does my Passat have a warning indicator for the front brakes only?

I say =E5=A4=A9=E6=B0=97=E3=81=AE=E8=89=AF=E3=81=84=E6=97=A5=E3=82=92=E9=81= =8E=E3=81=97=E3=81=AA=E3=81=95=E3=81=84 to them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Watashi.wa.ichiban

I think a lot has to do with driving habbits. I'm conservative! I purchased a 99 Passat 2.8l GLX when it had 40,000 miles on it and the "pads" front and rear where almost new. I now have just over 75,000miles and both are about

20% left. But yes, on all VW's the rear pads wear faster than the front's. It maybe pressure... but I think it more has to do with the size of the brake pad surface. At a guess the fronts have almost twice the surface area as the rears.

[...]

I say ???????????? to them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Well, I hope you are not one of today's typical drivers. That is, someone who speeds to the next traffic light, then slams on his/her brakes - rather than just letting off on the accelerator and allowing the engine (not the brakes) slow the car down. Another thing done by the typical driver is to tail gate - thus necessitating the constant use of the brakes in order to keep from hitting the car ahead (sometimes this doesn't work and a rear-ender results).

So I don't know whether or not you do this, but far too many others do, and of all things, their brakes wear out quickly unless they total their car first. Changing such habits is not only safer and makes the brakes last much longer, but less of the expensive fossil fuel is used as well.

Reply to
Papa

I'm a conservative driver and also wore out the rear pads with plenty of lining left on the fronts on my 99.5 jetta tide. The real reason is the rear pads are soft so they won't squeal. I put harder ones on and guess what, they squeal!

Joe

[...]

Jo Bo

Get a grip on yourself, stud. VW rear brake pads always wear out faster than the fronts. They deliberately used a softer pad on the rears to avoid squealing and noise. Replacing them is a simple, low-cost affair.

I'm constantly amazed by the ignorance of the typical driver, and the whining about ordinary maintenance items. "My god! You mean I have to check the air pressure in the tires?! I'm going to buy a Japanese car next time! I can't believe VW continues to use tires that require you to check their pressure periodically!" Oy.

Reply to
Brian Running

Heh, I can recall my mother's '65 Mercedes. The other kids in the car pool could always tell when she was driving up; from about a block and a half away!

Yup, I can recall the old days of getting no more than about 15k miles out of spark plugs and other parts. The usual seasonal 'tune up'. But, then again, brakes on a 2 and half ton Detroit behemoth with drum brakes could certainly be expected to wear out quicker.

Sort of a surpise to find out they don't use wear indicator squealers on the rear pads though.

Reply to
wkearney99