emergeny brake problems on 83 toyota pickup 4x4

Went in for I/M and the truck didn't pass safety because the emergency brake doesn't work. He pulled it up on the lift and told me the auto-adjusters were bad and that the pivot arms for the e.brake cables were bad and didn't "spring back" like they were supposed to. Am I really going to have to replace that entire pivot system to get the brakes to work? When I looked at it before it almost looked like the brake cable was just too long and pulling the cable didn't tighten the brake, but then maybe that was because the pivots weren't in the "off" position? Any ideas, thanks, I'll check here or email me at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com --take out the zz

Spencer

Reply to
Spencer Fowers

Adjust the intermediate e-brake arm, located just in front of the gas tank (at least its there on my '85). Loosen the jam nut, take up the slack in the cable with the other nut, then tighten the jam nut back down.

Reply to
Roger Brown