Engine cleaning/degreasing

I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive pickup.

I would like to degrease/clean the engine + engine compartment using my pressure washer and spray cans of degreasing stuff.

Is this a good idea or are there too many problems with water getting into electrical connections,etc?

Thanks for information/advice.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Forget the pressure washer. A degreaser engine spray and a garden hose (without a high-pressure nozzle) will work well. Towel dry as many areas as possible and run the engine for 10 minutes to help dry all the parts.

Reply to
Phisherman

I've done it many times using the exact same method. Even with the degreaser, I still scrubbed a few parts to get them clean before rinsing. Just don't get the tip of the nozzel too close to the engine... stand back a few feet. If you're using a commercial washer, make sure it has a fan-spray nozzel attached. You're just rinsing, not blasting...you'll remove paint.

As noted by Phisherman; a garden hose will also work just fine.

Some commercial washers have a hot water option.

Reply to
studio

pressure washer and spray cans of degreasing stuff.

electrical connections,etc?

I would say using the pressure washer or degreaser should both be avoided if possible. Simple Green works pretty good but try to avoid even getting water on anything you don't have to. Like the electrical components or belts for example.

Be sure to disconnect the battery too.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.