Exhaust leak update. I'm confused! HELP!

Hey, I'm the one who had the leak problem around the manifold with the '88 4WD 22R-E engine on my pickup.

After some inspection and after I took off the metal guard thing around the manifold, I noticed two holes (screws? or they're just there. they're not leaks or cracks or anything) on both the left and right side of where all the manifold connects.

I looked at them and they looked lie they were just there on purpose. But I notice that the leak coming out the RIGHT side one (nearest to the cab). I was prety much able to pinpoint this by sticking my finger right by it. The left one, however, does not leak any.

My confusion lies in the fact that it's puttin out exhaust in that hole, but the hole looks like it's supposed to be there. Why would the right on leak and not the left one?

I have a friend who's a welder, is it possible to just have him patch it up with a small piece of steel?

Reply to
Shinnokxz

Are the holes in the manifold or the head? I didn't have any leaks with my stock manifold or with the LC Engr. header I now run:

Roger Brown

Sounds like the air injection block plates. Are there two small plates on the upper part of the manifold each held down by two screws? There is a gasket behind them and the bolts tend to get loose as well as the plates warp and voila, exhaust leak. Perhaps try a new exhaust manifold gasket. It should come with the air injection block plate gaskets (odd little trapezoidal pieces) and it is a very easy swap. Just make sure that you let the engine cool before pulling the manifold back as it may warp. As far as welding goes, I believe the exhaust manifold is cast and welding it may wind up stress fracturing it if the guy doing it doesn't really know his stuff. Chris whitewall junkie and variation dabbler Mfinja's Hot Wheels with Whitewalls

Reply to
Whitewall Junkie