Front end noise

Help, I have a 1987 Toyota 4X4 pickup. There is a noise coming from the front end (happens at different times and can't make it happen when I want to). It sounds like the wheel bearings or messed up or going out. I replaced them on both sides, replaced the axles, checked the gear oil,and cannot seem to find the cause of this noise.

I don't want to drive the truck because the noise appears to be getting worse each day. This is my only transportation so I am really hard-pressed to find the answer. It makes the noise in 4-wheele drive as well as 2 wheele drive.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
SEP

Sounds like your birfield joints... They are what makes the wheel turn left and right as well as roll.

Reply to
Celica Dude

Don't have a solid axle. Sounds like splines on the axle is rubbing on the spindle.

Reply to
SEP

Could be the bushings inside the ends of the spindles where the CV joint stub axles enter. Early trucks had solid bronze bushings, later they went to a needle bearing that is less likely to wear out. Do you have manual locking hubs, automatc hubs or the ADD (Automatic Differential Disconnect) up front? If manual hubs, are they unlocked? If automatic, do they indeed unlock?

Reply to
Roger Brown

duh... now that i re-read your message.. i see clearly "1987"... derrr

Reply to
Celica Dude