generic replacement for differential crush washers?

My local dealership charges me almost a buck a piece (not to mention I have to drive all the way across town) for the differential drain and fill crush washers for my 1994 4x4 pickup. These are a hollow aluminum washer, I believe. Can I use the generic solid aluminum or solid copper washers from the auto parts store instead, and if so, which is better? I'm leaning toward the copper because it's more malleable, but I'd like to hear what anyone thinks. The transfer case and transmission use solid aluminum washers, so I'm not sure what's so special about the differentials.

Thanks for any help.

Richard snipped-for-privacy@hotmailDOT.com (remove AT and DOT to reply directly)

Reply to
Rich

They are not crush washers. They are aluminum gaskets. Crush washers are made to crush a specified amount to limit tightening travel along a shaft. Gaskets seal.

Buy aluminum gaskets, or even one-time hard fiber gaskets, at your local auto parts store. They'll stop the leaks just as well. Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

The yota parts person told me they were reusable on my 93 and I was foolish to buy new ones. Slik

Reply to
slikrikd

I've never replaed mine, and they have been in and out a dozen times over the years since I owned '85. I got rid of the bottom plug all together, initially welding it in place then cutting out out completely:

Roger Brown

I just clean them off and inspect for cracks or gouges, then reuse them. At least once or twice, but have a new one on hand before starting the work.

If you wanted to, you could anneal and soften the metal up before reuse (they work-harden with age) by warming the gaskets up with a propane torch and allowing them to air cool - but with aluminum the difference between 'annealed' and 'melted' isn't very much. (Oops...) Copper gaskets will glow dull red long before they melt.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman