Tacoma Mystery Problem - HELP!

I have a 1995 Tacoma 2WD which will not start hot in the heat (meaning if its below 50 it will start). Toyota charged me over a thousand dollars and said there was no problem. The only truth to that is they didn't fix anything!

A master Toyota mechanic who used to work for Toyota looked at it. He didn't believe there was a problem at first either (I had to convince him by running it hot then letting him try to start it). The computer does not indicate any problem. He did troubleshoot it down to the fuel injectors getting only a half volt of power from a hot start so the problem is no fuel, but he could not fix it as he said the routine he needed to know to trace the problem further was the "start" routine and Toyota won't release it (he has the run routine for the computer but once it is started, it has no trouble running). He said he could end up swapping parts and charging me over $5K and not fix the problem. I certainly know Toyota would do that.

I did call Toyota USA olny to be given a polite (or not so polite) shove off. My truck has done a great job for me and I can't complain about the initial manufacturing of the vehicle, but I have found the service at Toyota dealers to be extremely sub par and the concern Toyota USA (the supposed mother company of them) has demonstrates why the service is so sub par.

Is there any help out there?

Reply to
t.a.

Sorry I can't help you here, but I am familiar with the 'Toyota Shove off'! Used to be if you called Toyota (I've been a Toy owner since '74) you got whatever you needed, in some cases gratis! In the last 5 or so years, thay have not been so helpful. I guess now that they're

*established* as a leading manufacturer they feel they don't need to help their customers as much, but back in the day they would do anything it seemed.

I have also noticed this problem in some of my cars. Usually what I do is crank the engine for a couple seconds, back off the key and then it starts.

Reply to
HachiRoku

What are the symptoms of "will not start"? Starter is turning the engine over, yes or no? Is it cranking and cranking and not starting? Are you getting fuel pressure while cranking the engine over? Just worked through a similar problem with another guy last year and it turns out to be a faulty circuit opening relay (which feeds power to the fuel pump). If youa re not getting power to the pump while cranking, that is the likely cause of your problem. I have the same problem on my '85, but there it was easier to fix:

Roger Brown

Had a similar problem with a boat of mine. I spent about 2 grand. Same exact thing. Started cold, would not start hot. It turned out to be a vacuum leak.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

HachiRoku wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ae86.GTS:

Until it cools, there is no starting it unless I immediately open the hood as soon as I stop and leave it open until I start it again. Then it starts most of the time. The engine cranks fine, it just won't start. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
t.a.

Roger Brown wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org:

The fuel injuectors are getting only .2 volts so they are not working. All the components have been tested out working fine. The engine cranks, and everything works except it won't start because the fuel injectors are not working. I suspect a sensor or vacuum leak, but am unable to find where. The ex Toyota Master Mechanic (ex as he no longer works for Toyota but has his own shop) troubleshot it down to the fuel injectors, but told me he does not know what the start routine of the computer is so he does not know what circuits could be the actual problem. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
t.a.

"Dan J.S." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Well, I am almost at the $2K limit without any help in sight. It could be a vacuum leak, but I have no idea where. As I said, it checks out as perfect when running, including exceeding all smog tests. It just does not send any power to the fuel injectors when attempting to start from a warm/hot start. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
t.a.

I just went through a series of Toyota dealership mis-steps with my '95 Toy Ex Cab 2.4 2wd PU. It boiled down to being the fuel pump solenoid.

They replaced the cold start injector, an associated switch, then dropping the gas tank and cleaning it with a fuel filter replacement and fuel line check - finally they replaced the switch that feeds power to the fuel pump when the ignition is turned and the engine is cranking (closing a switch that is in the air filter box).

I was seeing instances where the truck would crank fine, but not start

- and it appeared mostly when the engine was hot (after 5-10 mile run then short stop at a gas station or store). The problem progressed to even when the truck was dead cold (and it appeared maybe having a downward angle to the front - I would roll the truck to a slight up angle and it would start...).

It's been fine since the fuel pump solenoid change out. Toyota dealership charges maxed out around $1k US. Have to say that after the tank drop and clean, with fuel filter replacement they had me come out since they though it was all fixed... repair rep took me out and all it did was crank for him... He apologized profusely and there was no further labor charges on the rest of the actions taken to try and resolve the problem. Did pay a final $39 for the solenoid. The bummer part being I had pointed it out as part of the circuit the first day I was in the shop (to the main manager of the intake group - took him to the "cheap fixes" web site so often referenced in this group). Given the crud that was found in the tank and filter I caulk that up as just early resolution of another problem that was yet to appear.

Maybe ask you Master mechanic buddy if the fuel pump solenoid/switch feeds power to the injectors ?

Reply to
TheSnipe at anti-spamdotmindspringdotcom