Head gasket... 96 taco

Toyota is replacing the head gasket on my 96 Taco with the v6. What are any other items that should be done you think with 125k on the motor, while the top is torn down?

thanks

Reply to
Steve Grammer

Timing belt, water pump, and valve job

Reply to
slikrikd

No need for a "valve job" per se. Just have whoever is doing the work check the valves and seats and, if okay, lap them in good. That should be sufficient (along with a good cleaning.) Might as well replace the valve stem seals - but, that should be part of the kit they are using for the head gaskets. Also, the camshaft seals should be included. Should get new exhaust manifold gaskets as well as intake manifold gaskets. I would verify that all these other gaskets/seals come with the job (I would think they do as Toyota normally uses 'the kit' vs. gaskets only) but, if not, I would offer to pay the difference to have them replaced.

It's normal to clean the tops of the pistons of any gunk and clean the heads up as well. Obviously, the heads should be checked for warpage.

Agree, it is the right time to replace the timing belt. They shouldn't charge extra labor for this because it has to come off anyway. The water pump should be checked out and replaced as needed and have the thermostat and seal changed as well while they are in there. These items might be a couple of extra bucks as they don't have to come off for the head gasket change.

Good luck. It's worth the trouble to have this stuff done right. Your truck will thank you.

Oh - almost forgot. Definitely go ahead and have the valves checked and adjusted as needed. This could prevent a burned valve 50 or 100k down the road.

Luther

Reply to
Luther